New "Advanced Diver" sea sick the whole time!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually get sea sick on live aboards on 1st day after I feed the fish I'm ok .I've tried over the counter, ginger , and a few others , still sometimes I get sick 1st day out of 3-4 day trip. I have also gotten hit with it 80% of the times when I do dives off of a boat. once again after feeding the fish 1 time I'm good for the rest of the day. I don't care I love the water, the motion doesn't love me, but only slows me down a little. Hoping to get over it (one day ) but till then I'll Just continue chumming for the spearfishers ;-)

Aotus, have you discovered a cure for sea sickness after it starts?

It's happened to me on more than one occasion and the only thing that helps me is lying down for a nap between dives. Of course the best solution is as everyone says - preventative. Take the pills, be well hydrated, and eat clean.

Aotus, have you discovered a cure for sea sickness after it starts?

It's happened to me on more than one occasion and the only thing that helps me is lying down for a nap between dives. Of course the best solution is as everyone says - preventative. Take the pills, be well hydrated, and eat clean.

In years past, before diving, if I got real sick on a boat I would just go to sleep...wake up as we got close and I was fine. Harder to do now because the boats I;ve dived from are small and/or don't have a place to lay/lean. I slept between the first dive and the boat trip I described in the first post, it helped but didn't cure, and then I got worse on the boat. ugh. still, worth it...mostly....would be more worth it if I were diving in better water. Visibility was crap in Pensacola last weekend.

Aotus, I feel for you! I've been taking Bonine (used Dramamine prior to Bonine but it didn't work at all for me) for years and it works....most of the time. I, too, eat a very sparse breakfast (dry toast, banana, and tea) and stay away from greasy foods and alcohol. I get seasick very easily, especially in fairly shallow water (less than 30 feet) with surge. I get seasick on a long boat ride in choppy water. I can look at the horizon until the cows come home, and it just doesn't help me. I have tried ginger and it does nothing for me. I get so discouraged at times because I grew up doing all kinds of water sports and NEVER got sick! When we were in the Keys last summer, the seas were rough and the surge was horrible. It was the first time ever I threw up in my regulator :yuck:....and I did it about three times on the dive. I did learn I could throw up in my reg and not die! I felt much better after getting rid of the contents in my stomach. When we were in Jupiter in August, the first three days of diving required a boat ride on very choppy water. And remember, I always take Bonine at least 30 minutes before getting on the boat. Well, again, I couldn't take the chop; however, once I was underwater (90 feet) I was fine.....until I got back on the boat. During those three days I threw up over the side of the boa, into the garbage can, into my reg....gross, I know. But once I did so, I felt better. I think people are sometime self-conscious or afraid to throw up but I say, if it makes you feel better, do it. I was discussing my condition with my doctor a couple weeks ago and she gave me a prescription for the Scopolamine patch. I'll be using it in a couple of weeks on a trip to FL and I hope it works! I'll continue to use Bonine if the conditions are good, otherwise I'll most likely become a patch user (if I don't have any side affects when I first try it). I'll try just about anything so I can keep on diving! Good luck to you....I hope you find something that will work.

You may not have been sea sick. You get sea sick on a boat not in the water. It also stops not long after you get off the boat and does not continue for days after.

You may not have been sea sick. You get sea sick on a boat not in the water. It also stops not long after you get off the boat and does not continue for days after.

Me and safety stops aren't friends in choppy waters,that up and down while stationary causes havoc with the senses sometimes

whether you call it sea-sickness or plain ol motion sickness -- some people are affected by it no matter which environment. example is my wife gets motion sick -- it affects her sometimes during trips in the car, on a boat, amusement parks, snorkeling (unless calm FLAT water).

I have gotten sea sick. I used to do the surface interval in the water, when I could. For some reason, on a boat I got sick but in the water, I was fine. It was almost like throwing a switch. Sea sick pills helped but not always. The bracelets were totally worthless for me. But many people report that they help.

As as I have been out more, I have done better and rarely feel more than a bit of it.

some people get it and some don't. Vice Admiral Lord Nelson, the victor of the Nile, Copenhagen, and Trafalger, got sea sick for a few days every time he put to sea. If it can happen to a veteran deep water sailor, it can happen to anyone.

I get sick. Once it hits me, I'm toast. Staring at things doesn't help. I just stare at nothing in particular. Prevention is definitely key! When I feel it coming on, I find it helps to stand up, get in a place with a nice cool breeze, and if that doesn't work, I like to hose myself down to cool off. Standing towards the back of boat helps a lot. The hardest part is moving my gear to a second tank. I've had to ask the DM for assistance before. And the best solution, jump off that boat!

I take the patch the night before and one Bonine about 30 min before getting on the boat. I've tried just the patch or just 2 Bonine and I get hit hard. The mix of both helps a LOT. Just remember that Bonine can make you feel drowsy. I give my niece a pill on long road trips and she sleeps the entire time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom