New and hopefully future avid diver from FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jigster, what an incredible coincidence! I was on the Rainbow River with my kids who are getting certified Sunday! Did you see the group of divers that were in kayaks? That was us. The rest of the dive groups were on pontoon boats.

Wonder what the odds of this are...it has got to be in the millions.

On to your question about equalizing. First make sure that you don't have any wax buildup creating an area for squeeze. Get the the kit from the drug store that includes the drops and bulb. Once you have eliminated that as a possiblility and have squeeky clean inner ears then try equalizing again.

One common mistake people make is to forget to equalize early and often. You cannot equalize too shallow and as soon as you feel any pain do stop and go back up a few feet and then try again. Do not keep diving if you are feeling ear pain. We had two people missing from the dive on the Rainbow because both had hemorraged thier eardrums and diving is off limits until they heal. They did not tell the instructor they were experiencing problems because they wanted to complete their classes and get certified. Big mistake and now they will miss the fun trip this weekend to WPB.

If you are still experiencing problems and think you are doing everything right then a visit to the doc is in order.

Some people have more problems than others equalizing and take a LONG acting decongestant before diving to make it easier. Do not do this until you have been checked out by a doc and make sure that you don't have any problems first. And if you do use this tip make sure it is LONG acting decongestant. You don't want your decongestant to wear off when you are ascending from 90 ft.

Let me know how it goes and welcome to diving...

Welcome to the board and the wet world of wonder.

As for ears and sinuses, go to;
http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/index.html

Watch the streaming video, "The Diver's Ear - Under Pressure"
Also read the article, "Middle Ear Barotrauma: A tutorial on prevention of Ear Squeeze"

The article and video are pretty much the same material but it is good to cover it both ways. The video has lots of cool pictures inside people's ears that really helps understanding of the material.

Diving should not hurt, at least not much.
:D

I talked to my LDS when picking up my new regulator and they said that it may be caused by the repetative amount of freediving we did. The instructor said that at times when in the pool teaching class he gets the same way from the numerous descents/ascents. We were in the water 3 solid hours Sunday and I really didn't get the headache until the end of our trip. Time will tell I guess. Hopefully a little work on my technique will straighten matters out.

Scubagatorgal---Yes, I did see both the divers on the Kayaks and on the pontoon boats! Definitely a coincidence...you stole my idea for Memorial weekend :eek:ut: I envy your position of being certified, congrats assuming you made it through OK! That will be me in a month if all goes well. A few of us plan to go to Blue Grotto and/or Devil's Den after getting certified, maybe we can all meet up there sometime.

Thanks again everyone-jason

Jigster, I have been certified for over 12 years and have 150+ dives. I was along to mother hen the next generation: my 15 year old and 20 year old! I am taking them to West Palm for their final open dive and C card and then the following weekend we will be in Grand Cayman!

What lucky kids they are to have me for a scubamom...

As for our local dives I am not much of a fan...I hail from South Florida and grew up in the Keys and Carribean and am SPOILED ROTTEN! I detest cold water and my flirtation with cave diving ended due to water temp. After diving them all once the attraction was no more. For my local dive fixes I jet to West Palm for a relaxing drift dive... Now if you want to meet in Bonaire, Saba, Cayman I might be a player...

Welcome to the boards from the land that almost joined Atlantis.

There is a lot of fun to be had here, as well as usefuls tips, and technical information there are shoe throwing, mud wrestling, face slapping, discussions!

Aquamore

PS I was diving Key west at Christmas, I loved it and I will be coming back with my wife soon!

Originally posted by scubagatorgal
Jigster, I have been certified for over 12 years and have 150+ dives. I was along to mother hen the next generation: my 15 year old and 20 year old! I am taking them to West Palm for their final open dive and C card and then the following weekend we will be in Grand Cayman!

Sorry for the mistake, I thought you were getting cert'd.

You are definitely lucky to have quick access to great dive sites, but OTOH does it ruin the excitement for you having the "been there, done that" routine? I know I can't wait for my next Key's trip. I was going to buy a boat this summer to get back out on the water, but I held off and spent my down payment $$$ on gear/lessons, so that when I do get a boat I have more to use it for. I have already talked to my buddies about taking the boat to the Bahamas next year when I get it.....talk about anxious, I'm already lining up trips w/o having completed the class...lol!

Have fun at the Cayman's with your kids! I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Aquamore: thanks for the welcome. I can see that the Key's may have hooked you also! I know I set aside a week every year for the trip and have yet to tire of it! I haven't been to any other vacation spot in over 5 years, that's almost pathetic.

-jason

Hello from Wisconsin... Welcome!

Have fun with your classes, you'll love it. I was just certified last August, and experienced the ocean for the first time in my life in SE Florida and took an AOW there as well this past February was great!

Hey Jigster/Jason

If you are planning to dive somewhere else other than Florida, give the Maldives a try, I can strongly recommend it.

Regards
Aquamore :jester:

welcome to the board and diving, better late then never.:)

Really though, thanks everyone for the warm welcomes and words of encouragement. Over the time that has past since I started this thread, I have successfully completed my NAUI OW diver course. I am very happy to say the least and even more so anxious to get wet! I am going to get in another dive this weekend and hopefully going to Ginnie next weekend.

I will be taking a Nitrox course within a month or so, but I will hold off on getting my AOW until I get my medical issue taken care of. I know, I know, I shouldn't have taken the class until I was physically fit, but I am keeping myself from doing anything more strenuous until then.

Thanks-jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom