New and looking for a good powershot!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rort

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have gone back a couple of pages looking for for a post like this but couldn't find out... sorry if I am creating "ANOTHER" post like this...

BUT, I am moving to Hawaii to study Marine Biology at HPU, and would like to go out with a decent Powershot camera and a nice housing a flash for it. I have a lot of experience with shooting, as my father is a wedding photographer for 30+ years and I have helped him quite a bit. But never had to take pictures under the water...

I have been looking around for a good powershot but they always seem to not have a proper housing that will work for it!

some hints and maybe even a few people that have some stuff for sale?

Thanks in advance!

Have you had a chance to look at the Ikelite website for housings?
IKELITE Underwater Systems
I've not had the pleasure to use there product but I have liked what I have seen from them and will be getting a housing from them for myself shortly. I just haven't decided if I want to get one for my point and shoot style or my SLR yet.
and by "Powershot" are you talking about canon's camera line or simply a point and shoot in general?

I am specifically talking about the canon powershots. I hve had great experience with them an had an awesome one until I droppe it last summer. I am planning on purchasing a new one an figured I would get the underwater housing for it as well!

Here are links to Canon's page showing all of their housings for PowerShots, and Ikelite's page listing their housings for Canon. You could start on these pages and see if there's a housing for the Powershot you liked, or pick another one. Work from there to find what will work for you.

If you read more in this forum, you'll see that the PowerShot S90 and Ikelite housing 6242.90 is a very popular combination right now, and will allow you to build a bit of a system, adding a strobe and another lens or two in the future.

Digital Cameras - High-End, Advanced Digital Cameras - D-Series Digital Cameras - Performance and Style, Digital ELPH Cameras - Easy and Fun! A-Series Digital Cameras - Underwater Photo - Canon USA Consumer Products

Canon Camera Chart

Last edited:
I am looking at the SD980 IS and the Ikelite Housing #6240.98

any experience with this combo?

I picked up the 980 as a replacement for my flooded SD880.
I havent used it U/W, but I absolutely loved the quality of the 880. Even the SD video was great. I can only imagine what the HD video on the 980 would be like...

That being said, the 980 is going back...
The quality of the photos is excellent, esp with the 12MP and the 5x optical zoom, but the buttons/dial are SO small that even my small girly fingers are frustrated.
I dont know what Canon was thinking, really. But that only will affect topside photos, really.
U/W the Ikelite housing will compensate with 'real' knobs and you will not notice the micro-buttons on the cam.

I got an SX200 instead. It was $20 cheaper than the 980, 12 optical zoom, still HD video. While it is NOT a 'pocket' cam like the SD's, and the wheel&buttons are smallish, I can live with it for the extra control and zoom. Oh, and no 'Fancy' touchscreen...
Hope it helps..

New Ikelite housing ordered too..

It looks like I will end up going with the SX200is. I really like the idea of being able to shoot HD video as well!

Be sure your camera selection supports RAW...Shooting RAW is key, in my newbie humbled opinion...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom