New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm confused on the checks and Xs in the last screenshot. Does the violation indicate that all the items checked are the cause for the violation, or just the Xs? In either case, it doesn't make sense as both ascent rate and max depth appear to be violated.

And just a thought on the max ascent rate. If the dive was below 44M, the app has no real way to know the actual depth. Therefore, it doesn't really know the ascent rate until the depth is above 44M. Perhaps this might be the reason for the ascent rate reading so high.

I'm confused on the checks and Xs in the last screenshot. Does the violation indicate that all the items checked are the cause for the violation, or just the Xs? In either case, it doesn't make sense as both ascent rate and max depth appear to be violated.
I believe only Xs are violations. if 286m/min would be true than Ascent Rate would have X, that’s why I see this as a bug. However the term VIOLATION annoys me.

I didn’t check if the freediving mode allows to go below 44m or it cuts off. Will make next deep dive in free dive mode to check if the sensor shows depth below 44m

I did four (4) dives and some snorkeling in the Galapagos last week with the Ultra and the Oceanic App.

In short, it's a good travel dive computer that is always with you. If you are a casual diver, on holiday, it's great to have a dive/snorkel computer that you don't have to think about bringing along. Also, the logging includes a lot of data and the app is pretty good at capturing it. I brought my Shearwater along, as as back up, but stopped using it after dive number 1.

Pros:
  1. The Oceanic screen layout is great, easy to see underwater.
    1. Blurry screen grab from the GoPro
  2. I like the use of haptics for underwater notifications.
  3. Snorkeling feature works well, most of the time
  4. It's another piece of equipment you don't have to bring.
  5. The dive log app is really well done, it captures lots of data and feels like an Apple app, it has a lot of polish to it.

Challenges:
  1. Like someone mentioned earlier the phone app seems to rely on a constant internet connection and doesn't work well without it.
    1. They seem to be authenticating in real time each time you use the app and not doing a very good job at leasing a login. While on the water, the app would routinely log me out and then fail to log me back in because it couldn't reach the internet or it was too slow to get a response back. That is unacceptable for a variety of reasons since most of the setting changes are done easier in the app vs on the watch
    2. Also, their error handling is a 100s of characters log error message showing the resource address they can't reach, which is a terrible software programming, I captured the error screen below.
  2. Since the watch need to needs to be on contact with you skin, it kinda difficult to use over a exposure suit as the passcode on an Apple watch uses skin contact to see if you've taken it off. Once in the water, you can't use the touch screen, so it's crap shoot it will stay unlocked, over an exposure suit. It was warm enough, so I just didn't zip my wetsuit closed on my left wrist.
  3. Confirming each dive to start is something you should be something you set to auto start at a certain depth and fells more like a liability concern than a user experience feature.
  4. The safety stop is annoying, and there isn't a way to turn it off or change it. It's always 3 mins at 20 feet. If you violate it, I have a feeling it would lock you out, so I just rode it out each time.
    1. I would not use this as any time of "tech dive" computer, regardless of it's Nitrox and Gradient Factor support.
  5. Snorkeling logging worked well on all but a one of my snorkeling, on one the app crashed on the watch and reset everything.
  6. Subscription for the dive app is terrible, you can turn it on for $10 a month at at time but there is very little you are getting for an ongoing subscription. Regardless on how well the dive log is, it's just a dive computer. Developers need to be paid but have an upfront lifetime payment or offer a free/ad supported one.
Why would one need a computer for snorkeling? Do you mean freediving?

Does the Ultra have a compass underwater?

Hopefully there’ll be a better dive application along some time in the not too distant future.

Will need to wait for Apple to either sort out the pressure sensor or wait until October for the Ultra 2.

Does the Ultra have a compass underwater?

Hopefully there’ll be a better dive application along some time in the not too distant future.

Will need to wait for Apple to either sort out the pressure sensor or wait until October for the Ultra 2.
Yes, has a compass which is useful and works well enough for me to navigate.

Yes, has a compass which is useful and works well enough for me to navigate.
Is the compass in the diving appp or do you need to switch appps?

I have had some minor issues with my Apple Watch. One exercise app disappeared and I still have no idea where it went - left me and my husband scratching my head. Needed to restart on two different occasions bc it froze. Maybe it’s just too old? But those issues would be bigger issues on a dive watch. For me, I’d use it as a backup and for the novelty. And since I don’t have $800 hanging around for ‘novelty’ I’ll wait to see how others do with the Ultra.
My wife presented me with an Apple Ultra watch recently. Have worn it on several dives with no issues whatsoever. I‘ve set the “action” button for the ”dive” function and depress it before submerging. I’ve cross-checked it with my Scubapro Galileo 2 computer and the Ultra watch maintains within a foot of the Galileo computer. The “health” app on my iPhone also included dive events with other fitness activities, for what it’s worth. The Ultra is a decent backup computer, albeit pricey. It’s many other features have justified it’s cost.

I have about 20 dives with the Ultra as a backup of my Teric: open water dives, cave dives, shallow dives, deep dives, wreck dives… works beautifully!

My only “issues” with it are:
- having to confirm I am “fit to dive” before jumping in the water, or it won’t start recording the dive
- having to pay for the Oceanic subscription (3 times monthly subs)
- no air integration

The first 2 are app related, the last one would be a nice evolution.

The pros far outweigh the minor cons, I was already an Apple Watch user and now don’t have to take it off before diving. I love it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom