New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i would hope that many who own their own DC at least have a basic understanding of how to use it. For most recreational diving, depth (current and max) , NDL and remaining air are all you really need to monitor.

My concern was a daily subscription where I’d guess most would not understand much about it at all, including those basics! Time will tell.
It does mean that many people will have a potential DC on their wrists. It will be interesting to see how many purchasers actually activate the DC function.

Personally I hate subscription models. That’s a show stopper for me.

Personally I hate subscription models. That’s a show stopper for me.
Agreed - in particular for something like this where you wouldn’t expect there would be constant feature additions.

Not at all - I have an iPhone and have no issue with this iWatch, but also have zero interest in an all-in-one watch of any kind.

I was only questioning what is disruptive about it as some were claiming, but without explaining what, exactly, is disruptive about it…
Based on this approach you could have every algorithm for example as an option, you could have what every computer offers available as apps in one place. Not just a customizable gradient, but basically take what you and create your customized computer. Are their other platforms that have this potential with app based approach?

Good to 40 m / 130 ft. $800 and includes a cellular radio.

Man, I thought I was never going to get a smart watch, but if it's actually a good dive computer I think I would have to get one.

Looks like the software is by Oceanic. Picture from Apple via Macrumors.
If it’s only good to 130’ it may have issues if you take it that deep. The act of swimming/moving exerts more pressure and as a result can compromise seals. Often seen in standard analog watches that are rated to similar shallow depths where playing in the surf zone results in water intrusion.

Did some digging in Apple's Developer Documentation and the ambient pressure sensor is open to devs. I would expect to see additional third party dive apps, and ones that aren't necessarily subscription based. Paging Shearwater!

Did some digging in Apple's Developer Documentation and the ambient pressure sensor is open to devs. I would expect to see additional third party dive apps, and ones that aren't necessarily subscription based. Paging Shearwater!

Yep can basically create your own dive computer

You could load all 3 and choose which you want….
Are we counting our chickens before they hatch? Creating hardened embedded firmware is not a trivial endeavor. Trying to recreate the same level of robustness in an app where you had no say in the design of the hardware platform and have little to no direct control of the hardware is expecting a miracle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom