New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A great response.
There are a couple of breakthrough innovations in the watch and that will make them more consumer orientated and ultimately will could easily become part of the standard routine for many normal divers (i.e. those that are not technical divers, only dive a few days a year in warm water locations or read scubabord) and will only be certified to 30 metres or possibly 40 metres if they have done a deep speciality.

Hopefully one of those improvements is to the strap. Those things get lost in the water so often I couldn't see using one myself. A NATO type strap would be ideal given its redundancy should a pin fail, but that would defeat the heart rate monitor.

Hopefully one of those improvements is to the strap. Those things get lost in the water so often I couldn't see using one myself. A NATO type strap would be ideal given its redundancy should a pin fail, but that would defeat the heart rate monitor.
The AW doesn‘t have pins, it has a slide in system. Hard to explain. But I guess you could make a redundant strap if you send material under the watch but to the side of the sensors.
I once found a dive watch with a nato strap while diving. I guess they hadn‘t buckled it right.

There is a more secure strap buckle for water sports use. Looks much more secure than the usual stud strap closure on my Apple Watch.

There are no pins. The strap slides into groove on the watch itself. Not going anywhere.

Just like Garmin has already been doing - nothing new. I just capture the site GPS Coordinates in Dive Log while on the boat - so not really a big draw for me to have on my DC as I have my phone with me already.
I was thinking of shore diving as it can be hard to find a reef navigating by compass.

I have an Apple watch that just broke (cats knocked it to the floor and smashed the screen) and so was super tempted by the Ultra but ultimately decided to just get a series 8 replacement for now and wait for the next generation.

I have a Suunto D4i as my dive computer now and had been looking seriously at either Shearwater Teric or Garmin MK2i as a replacement/upgrade for 1) bluetooth download of logs functionality (current usb cable connection is super finnicky) and 2) more reliable air integration (my Suunto always loses connection for 1-2 dives every trip). GPS logging was a bonus on the Garmin. I'm a runner also and thought the Garmin could replace both the Suunto and my old Apple watch but it was too pricey and too bulky for an everyday watch (I have tiny wrists, M2S is the right/max size but lacks AI).

I'm entirely in the apple ecosystem (phone, macbook, watch) and do love the seamless integration of everything. The AW Ultra is appealing to me for that aspect alone - seamless download of logs, syncing between all my devices, who knows maybe eventually I can even link it to my lightroom catalogs so I never have to manually log anything again! But it's 1) too big for my wrists, 2) lacks air integration, 3) subscription price is too high. I'm hoping by 2nd gen they will fix all 3 of the above.

If they release a strap that can be used also on drysuits i might consider one since i need a new computer anyway and also been looking at getting an Apple Watch before as well.

The screen is way better than the garmin. It will be the most readable screen on the market I believe.
OLED 2000nits. That’s more than the AMOLED can produce

If they release a strap that can be used also on drysuits i might consider one since i need a new computer anyway and also been looking at getting an Apple Watch before as well.

The Apple Ocean band has an optional extension band for that purpose. Of course, haven't seen it in person, very few have! And since the bands just slide into the watch slots, I'm assuming that there will be many many companies making bands for this, just like for the previous generations of Apple watch.

The Apple Ocean band has an optional extension band for that purpose. Of course, haven't seen it in person, very few have! And since the bands just slide into the watch slots, I'm assuming that there will be many many companies making bands for this, just like for the previous generations of Apple watch.
Ah Perfect! Or maybe damn it, running out of excuses not to get one. Completely missed that they already got this covered.

Back
Top Bottom