New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the final analysis, I view the whole Apple / Huish dive computer offering in the same way that I view those hinky scissors attached to my childhood Swiss Army Knife — it’d probably do in a pinch; but is largely redundant and really just a novelty, considering other more dedicated gear that I have on hand . . .

See that's what I don't get. And I'm not being snarky. What is is about this product that has people claiming that it's not "enough" of a DC?

I mean, it's not enough for my personal applications, since it won't let me monitor 3 O2 sensors and calculate deco. But for the other 95% of divers in the world, it seems like more than enough. Why is it just a novelty? You can certainly get a dive computer for less money than this, but for the vast majority of divers, this seems fine.

All you need for a DC to work is a pressure sensor, some way of keeping time, and some way of doing math, right?

My dive buddy who hates Apple has changed his tube. He also has perdix but felt apple finally came out with a watch that covers every need for active people.

I think it will really hurt local shops and retailers.

It is just a little annoying to track the GPS entry/exit points with MacDive but manageable, the phone records coordinates every few minutes and I can then assign them to the dive.
I was just looking at the docs for this and if you have the time set well on the computer, I thought it was supposed to do this automatically or at least ask you to confirm.

In the final analysis, I view the whole Apple / Huish dive computer offering in the same way that I view those hinky scissors attached to my childhood Swiss Army Knife — it’d probably do in a pinch; but is largely redundant and really just a novelty, considering other more dedicated gear that I have on hand . . .
That’s an unfair (and unfounded) assessment - I have no interest in wearing any type of a watch on a daily basis so AW is not something I’d consider buying.

However, if one is doing recreational diving above 40m and does not want AI, it appears that the AW Ultra will not be any more “novelty” than a dedicated dive watch! In fact, it’s a better option for someone who already wants to wear a watch daily like the AW.

I mean, it's not enough for my personal applications, since it won't let me monitor 3 O2 sensors and calculate deco. But for the other 95% of divers in the world, it seems like more than enough. Why is it just a novelty? You can certainly get a dive computer for less money than this, but for the vast majority of divers, this seems fine.
You just answered that yourself.

Apparently, neither of us are among that "95%" target audience who would, presumably, find the application useful; and exactly why it would be nothing but a novelty to me, among my several dedicated computers, for open and/or closed circuit diving -- none of which, as an aside, have ever required an annual subscription.

It is tantamount to having a calculator on a wristwatch, which was, admittedly, a novelty to me as a kid . . .

If it wasn’t going to be successful apple wouldn’t promote it. It is one of the highlighted features. They tend to think it through. Outside of a small community of divers it covers what most divers do on a familiar platform and easy to see/read.

I was just looking at the docs for this and if you have the time set well on the computer, I thought it was supposed to do this automatically or at least ask you to confirm.
Been using MacDive for 18 months and I for sure could have missed something.
But it’s never asked me whether I wanted to assign a location to a dive.

I always have to click on one of the spots on the map, create a dive site and then assign it to the dive.
If there’s another way, would love to know. :)

My dive buddy who hates Apple has changed his tube. He also has perdix but felt apple finally came out with a watch that covers every need for active people.

I think it will really hurt local shops and retailers.
What percentage of DC's do you suppose are now purchased through "local shops and retailers"? I don't know, but I'd hazard a guess that the majority are purchased online anyway.

If it wasn’t going to be successful apple wouldn’t promote it. It is one of the highlighted features. They tend to think it through.
The Apple Oracle can do no wrong?

Recall the Newton or the eMate or eWorld? Of course not . . .

I'll always recall the last time that I was in my hometown of Santa Cruz, CA, and a skell, sitting on his backpack, interrupted his very important conversation on his iPhone, to hit me up for cash.

Having lived overseas on a couple of occasions, once, in a Third World country -- oh, to be poor in the US . . .

Been using MacDive for 18 months and I for sure could have missed something.
But it’s never asked me whether I wanted to assign a location to a dive.

I always have to click on one of the spots on the map, create a dive site and then assign it to the dive.
If there’s another way, would love to know. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom