New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know of at least one person who forget they had their Apple Watch on and went drysuit diving with it. Got bricked due to the pressure. Never worked again.
Do you know which model? If I recall correctly, the first few weren’t even suitable for swimming. And I could imagine that as they get older the seals degrade.

Do you know which model? If I recall correctly, the first few weren’t even suitable for swimming. And I could imagine that as they get older the seals degrade.

It was a few years back.

It certainly seemed to work within the limits of what I could try. I started the tracker, left the phone in my car, and then did a shore dive. When I came back, I downloaded from my Perdix to the phone, viewed the dive and then hit the map icon (as you can see). You get this dialog. However, it did not find the existing site. I can only assume that's because from where I left the phone to where I have the dive site marked is probably 1/4 mile or more.

Anyhow, I'm sold even if just for marking sites. What I do now is take a GPX track, tag the photos I took on the dive with the GPX track, and then copy the location from the first photo to the dive site. This is like 10x easier.

Side note, it's interesting to see that the boat crew went back to shore when you are out diving...

If it's an existing site for you, then there isn't much point in the tracking. It's supposed to suggest it, but you can just choose an existing one.

I’ve ordered an Ultra which has just been charged by Apple so hopefully arriving earlier than the indicated release date. It will replace my watch version 2 that I’ve had for 6 years - pretty happy with the cost over time for that purchase. I wasn’t gentle with my Apple Watch at all - I only took it off for sleeping and scuba. Always had it on in surf and while snorkeling and it survived being temporarily lost and submerged in 4m of water for 12 hours under a beachside pier. I did lose mic function at some stage which I’d attribute to water ingress.
I‘ll probably try out the Oceanic app to see how well it suits me and whether dive logs can still be accessed once a subscription runs out (or maybe exported). I do expect that there will be other apps that use the depth sensor and that with a subscription model being set as a precedent, most will follow with the same sort of pricing model.

AA5D94AF-B3AF-4B99-A2BE-0C8EF39D08F9.jpeg

I’ve ordered an Ultra which has just been charged by Apple so hopefully arriving earlier than the indicated release date. It will replace my watch version 2 that I’ve had for 6 years - pretty happy with the cost over time for that purchase. I wasn’t gentle with my Apple Watch at all - I only took it off for sleeping and scuba. Always had it on in surf and while snorkeling and it survived being temporarily lost and submerged in 4m of water for 12 hours under a beachside pier. I did lose mic function at some stage which I’d attribute to water ingress.
I‘ll probably try out the Oceanic app to see how well it suits me and whether dive logs can still be accessed once a subscription runs out (or maybe exported). I do expect that there will be other apps that use the depth sensor and that with a subscription model being set as a precedent, most will follow with the same sort of pricing model.

View attachment 744173
Damn that’s pricey!

Damn that’s pricey!
Really? Compared to what? Assuming you mean your local tax inclusive price (do you really only pay 6%?!) then yes I am paying a little more than your landed cost.

D0029D31-99DE-4096-947D-EB02F76EBE3D.jpeg

This converts to about AUD$1250.
However if we look at the pre-tax costs they are exactly the same (using today‘s FX).
USD$799 converts to AUD$1180 which is the pre-tax cost here (10%).

I just meant in AUD. Sales tax in Illinois is 6.25% plus an additional 2.75% for my county (Cook). So 9% total.

Sales tax in the US is something decided by states and cities/counties. No nationwide sales tax or VAT like elsewhere. And our sales tax is on top of product price. Not included.

Yes that’s what I though. So, yes it may be ‘pricey’ but it’s the same cost for me and you, once FX is accounted for.

I mentioned before that 50M or 100M isn’t always that. Pressure from movement increases the perceived pressure on the unit. Many 50M watches have bit the dust when simply playing in the surf.
I don’t even wear mine (series 6) snorkeling.

Back
Top Bottom