New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Up until iPhone 6, the serial was printed on the back of the phone.
iPhone 6s through 13 have it on the sim tray.
With iPhone 14 however, only way to get it is by having access to the Settings I believe.

I was just about to mention the same thing. But the 14 series still has it on the SIM card tray.

I was just about to mention the same thing. But the 14 series still has it on the SIM card tray.

Very good point, the US version of the iPhone 14 doesn’t have a tray anymore but rest of the world does. For these, serial can still be found without access to the phone settings.

Very good point, the US version of the iPhone 14 doesn’t have a tray anymore but rest of the world does. For these, serial can still be found without access to the phone settings.

Oof, looks like you're right. Apple steered me wrong.

Best thing to do to avoid ID then is to change out the SIM tray... ;-)

It’s also available from the initial “hello“ screen by long pressing the “i” in the bottom right hand corner, but someone would have to reset the phone first, which they can’t do with activation lock set i.e. with the Find My feature turned on.

With Find My, the owner can locate their lost phone, set a “please contact if found“ message on the Lock Screen, wipe the phone, or mark it lost or stolen (which is what they would do if they had the lost/stolen version AppleCare+). For anyone else, it’s a shiny brick.

This is primary designed around user privacy. Yes, what makes it difficult for the creepy person also makes it hard for the good guy. (shrug)

Edit: If it’s your phone, there’s a number of ways to get the serial number, IMEI/MEID, IMEI2, etc. including on the box.

We’re talking about iPhones here, right? How did you as a LEO get that number on an iPhone?
As above. Also iPads have it on the back, which I’ve gotten a couple of, but haven’t had a phone in a while.

Per our policy citizens turning in lost property can claim it for themselves if it goes unclaimed. Had one lady do this with an iPad although she had to take it to an Apple store with a copy of the report to get it unlocked.

Last iPhone I got was a 13 I found while diving. Spent a few days at 25 feet but no signs of water intrusion. Started charging it and when it came on a bunch of text messages streamed in but only showed senders phone number. Took a picture of the screen with mine and starting texting those folks back from my phone if they knew whose phone it was. Eventually got a response and was able to link up with the owner. Had I not had that would have been outta luck for getting it ID’ed.

Anymore seems like lost and found (and most stolen devices) get sold for a few bucks at the phone recycling vending machines or directly to repair shops to be used for parts.

Gotta say, although I have disagreed with you in this thread, I do agree with this post!

You are always a gentleman even when we disagree, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom