New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my opinion, newer or infrequent divers are probably better off not having to worry about Nitrox settings.
I disagree. Changing a gas mix shouldn't be complicated. I realize with some computers it is, but that doesn't appear to be the case with the AW Ultra. Seems to be easy. If a diver shouldn't worry about Nitrox settings, then they shouldn't worry about diving with a computer. It won't do them any good if it's set wrong.
I am fine with separate Air and Nitrox modes as long as the app can be configured to default to Nitrox mode with whatever appropriate O2% and ppO2 settings for those of us who choose that.
The problem with separate Air and Nitrox modes is what happens after you do an air dive and want to switch to Nitrox. In many computers, it won't let you do that. The longstanding workaround has been to just use Nitrox mode and set the mix to 21%.

That's how my dive computers work. I don't have separate Air/Nitrox modes. I just set the gas mix for what I'm using. If air, I set it to 21% O2, and it works just fine.

this doesn't seem to be true based on some other accounts ive read, it managed to record accurate depth to 49m in this test: Apple Watch Ultra's Depth app can record dives beyond 40 meters reveals experiment

So even if it says "below 40m" it still is recording true depth for another 10m (possibly even more, but i don't think deeper depth was tested)

So there is still a possibility that other apps come along and continue to give a readout deeper than 40m. Either way, i'm never diving deeper than what i'm certified for as a recreational diver, so to *most* people it's a moot point.
What I see in that article is 144 ft, which is 44 m. The reviews I've seen seem to say that at 40 m it says "max depth reached" but continues to function if you ascend, while at about 44 m it reaches some actual max and goes into violation gauge mode.

I disagree. Changing a gas mix shouldn't be complicated. I realize with some computers it is, but that doesn't appear to be the case with the AW Ultra. Seems to be easy. If a diver shouldn't worry about Nitrox settings, then they shouldn't worry about diving with a computer. It won't do them any good if it's set wrong.

The problem with separate Air and Nitrox modes is what happens after you do an air dive and want to switch to Nitrox. In many computers, it won't let you do that. The longstanding workaround has been to just use Nitrox mode and set the mix to 21%.

That's how my dive computers work. I don't have separate Air/Nitrox modes. I just set the gas mix for what I'm using. If air, I set it to 21% O2, and it works just fine.
You can do that with the oceanic+ app and apple watch ultra. nitrox and 21%. the air setting won’t let you change the percentage

BB6C5F09-F356-49FB-9265-E18F59023B38.jpeg

I think this will turn out to be a flop. First of all, for the price, you can pretty much buy any "real" dive computer, and you aren't even really short of paying for a Teric.

But my main concern would be the 36 hour battery life. No doubt, that's under ideal conditions. Add a couple of years of use, cold water and you're running the risk of having the thing crap out on you mid-dive.

Anyway, it's cute and trendy, but I think if you want a watch, buy a watch. If you want a dive computer, buy a dive computer.

I think this will turn out to be a flop. First of all, for the price, you can pretty much buy any "real" dive computer, and you aren't even really short of paying for a Teric.

But my main concern would be the 36 hour battery life. No doubt, that's under ideal conditions. Add a couple of years of use, cold water and you're running the risk of having the thing crap out on you mid-dive.

Anyway, it's cute and trendy, but I think if you want a watch, buy a watch. If you want a dive computer, buy a dive computer.

I could see it being a gateway into diving. Some people get an Apple Watch Ultra, see it has a diving mode... go on vacation to their island resort and say "oh, I should get my PADI, so I can use my dive watch" - pay the $5 per day to use it...

If they like it, they can quickly switch to a dedicated computer that is a more practical option.

I could see it being a gateway into diving. Some people get an Apple Watch Ultra, see it has a diving mode... go on vacation to their island resort and say "oh, I should get my PADI, so I can use my dive watch" - pay the $5 per day to use it...

If they like it, they can quickly switch to a dedicated computer that is a more practical option.
Hopefully by that time there'll be some decent dive programs "aaapps" for the watch. Some which will work well and time will tell for the others.

It could be, people said the same thing about the iPhone. Who needs or wants a phone that has internet and a camera when you could just have a phone, a computer , and camera…time will tell.

Maybe... But there are so many dive computers out there for 1/2 the price. It will likely appeal to the very occasional Gen-Z diver. I can't imagine any serious diver using it, but also appreciate that that's not the market. Don't get me wrong, I love Apple products, but I just think that has some really limiting flaws.

Incidently, I never said that about the first cell phones, or smart phones... I could hardly wait to get my hands on one.

Maybe... But there are so many dive computers out there for 1/2 the price. It will likely appeal to the very occasional Gen-Z diver. I can't imagine any serious diver using it, but also appreciate that that's not the market. Don't get me wrong, I love Apple products, but I just think that has some really limiting flaws.
But I think a key point here is that likely no one is going to buy one of these as just a dive computer.

Back
Top Bottom