New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But I think a key point here is that likely no one is going to buy one of these as just a dive computer.
You make a good point... I don't know how much the software is, so fair enough. If someone already has the watch, it could become a cheap alternative, or even a backup computer.

Maybe... But there are so many dive computers out there for 1/2 the price. It will likely appeal to the very occasional Gen-Z diver. I can't imagine any serious diver using it, but also appreciate that that's not the market. Don't get me wrong, I love Apple products, but I just think that has some really limiting flaws.

Incidently, I never said that about the first cell phones, or smart phones... I could hardly wait to get my hands on one.
The Ultra is $300 more than standard Apple Watch, so it is probably hard to find a dive computer with similar features and screen for under $400

Maybe... But there are so many dive computers out there for 1/2 the price. It will likely appeal to the very occasional Gen-Z diver. I can't imagine any serious diver using it, but also appreciate that that's not the market. Don't get me wrong, I love Apple products, but I just think that has some really limiting flaws.

Incidently, I never said that about the first cell phones, or smart phones... I could hardly wait to get my hands on one.
The target demo isn't people looking for a dive computer and picking the AW. That would be a loser, just as you said. The target demo is people buying the latest AW because they like AW's, and this one is even cooler because it is also a DC. I think it will be a hit with enough of that demo to put a lot of pressure on the traditional DC manufacturers.

But I think a key point here is that likely no one is going to buy one of these as just a dive computer.

Exactly. It’s the best Apple Watch there is - huge market for wearer of AWs.
And on top of that, it’s ALSO a dive computer.

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13
The Ultra is $300 more than standard Apple Watch, so it is probably hard to find a dive computer with similar features and screen for under $400
And for that $300 you get more than the DC. You get the bigger screen, the sapphire crystal and titanium case, etc.

Exactly. It’s the best Apple Watch there is - huge market for wearer of AWs.
And on top of that, it’s ALSO a dive computer.
I saw my wife's cousin's husband at Thanksgiving and he was wearing an AW Ultra. I asked what he thought of it and he said he only got it because of its increased battery life. Not the first time I've heard that.

You make a good point... I don't know how much the software is, so fair enough. If someone already has the watch, it could become a cheap alternative, or even a backup computer.

Precisely. I own a Teric, I own the Ultra, hello backup computer!

You can do that with the oceanic+ app and apple watch ultra. nitrox and 21%. the air setting won’t let you change the percentage

View attachment 756263
I think some people are suggesting that in our modern world there is no need for a separate air vs nitrox setting. If the computer is capable of Nitrox, then there is no need for a separate Air setting. Air is just one of the available Nitrox choices.

I own Air only dive computers and Nitrox capable computers - all from the same manufacturer. My air computers obviously only has an Air setting (well no setting as there is no choice! Air IS air?). Unfortunately, just as obvious to me, my Nitrox capable computers only have a Nitrox setting. No separate concept of "air" vs "nitrox". What's the point? Seems like a marketing Fcuk up?

The more choices you provide, the more opportunities for mistakes...

Anyway, it's cute and trendy, but I think if you want a watch, buy a watch. If you want a dive computer, buy a dive computer.

guess no garmin mk or sheerwater teric too

It will likely appeal to the very occasional Gen-Z diver. I can't imagine any serious diver using itt

I’m 48, instructor, dive 6-10 times a week and certify about 300-400 people a year. guess you don’t have to imagine unless i’m not considered a serious diver :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom