New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, that would be extremely surprising indeed. I could see Huish bringing out an (ultra)sound-based transmitter though, like Garmin, seeing as how that could possibly be picked up by the already-present watch microphone.

Where is the owner's manual for the Ultra/Oceanic+?

When will someone put it into a pressure pot or dive it to below 130 and 144 ft with and without a deco obligation to lay those questions to rest?

When will someone put it into a pressure pot or dive it to below 130 and 144 ft with and without a deco obligation to lay those questions to rest?
Send me one and I will happily put it in my pot.

Unfortunately it is a simple DIY pot with no ability to push buttons or turn the stem. I am most interested in those things at depth as my personal conspiracy theory is that the artificial depth limit is related to the watch not being "waterproof enough".

Buy one and take it diving.

I have drunk heartily and for many years from the trough of Apple Kool-Aid. I have an iPhone, my desktop computer is an iMac, my laptop is a MacBook Air, I have both an iPad and and iPad Mini.

I don't have an Apple Watch (my daily wear watch is a TAG Formula 1) and as for the Oceanic+ app, well they lost me when I found out it was a subscription. For me, that alone is a "deal breaker". I dumped both Lightroom & Photoshop when they went to a subscription and after trying many options, I eventually (and very happily) ended up using ON1 Photo RAW for my photo editing.

For the cost of the Apple watch plus the subscription to Oceanic+, IMHO, there are better, more cost effective options out there. The decision making matrix might change if I already had an AW Ultra, but this app/capability would certainly not be incentive to go get one especially if they continue with a subscription model.

On a hotel shuttle to the airport in Jakarta I briefly met a lady diver who struck up a conversation with me, enthusiastically showing me the Apple Watch Ultra she'd been using on her just concluded dive trip (I think in Raja Ampat). That's a destination that doesn't tend to bring in newbie divers. She mentioned also having a dedicated dive computer (I think a Suunto), but she'd been using/looking at the Ultra on dives.

I only saw it topside. The display was pretty big, and 'pretty.' She mentioned eyesight, and it's easy to see items on the display.

On ScubaBoard, it's easy to cut to a feature list, the cost of the subscription model, lack of air integration, etc..., but 'pretty' and easy to see count for something.

Apologies if this has already been covered, but now that I've seen one in person, I have a question. The Atomic Aquatics Cobalt and Cobalt 2 also have large, easy-to-read in moderate or low light (great on night dives) displays, based on emitting light like a computer screen. But near the surface on the sunny day, they can be unreadable (like if you're using the compass to navigate in shallow water).

Anyone care to comment on how readable the Ultra display is in shallow, sunny conditions? It's intended to be usable topside outdoors, so maybe it's fine. Just asking.

I borrowed one to play with and I had no issues reading it in shallow and bright waters and at depth is seemed extremely bright. The display was actually quite amazing for me, I was very surprised.

I've never had issues reading my mk2i in the sun and this watch is quite a bit brighter.

Attachments

• 20221217_111330.jpg
    20221217_111330.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20221217_111502.jpg
    20221217_111502.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 27
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom