New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @KenGordon

So, it seems like you did not miss a deco stop. You shouldn't get locked out for missing the safety stop or exceeding the ascent rate. Do you think you were locked out for exceeding the "max" depth?

I sure would like to get a look at the owner's manual.

The different deco obligations is odd behavior if the GF settings were indeed the same. Almost sounds like there may be additional conservatism applied on top of the GF. So 50/85 might not really be 50/85.
The Perdix was programmed for the deco gas I had. Naturally Oceanic+ had no idea about that.

Hi @KenGordon

So, it seems like you did not miss a deco stop. You shouldn't get locked out for missing the safety stop or exceeding the ascent rate. Do you think you were locked out for exceeding the "max" depth?

I sure would like to get a look at the owner's manual.
I did not spend enough time at 9 for its taste, so it was fair it locked me out. I had a buddy also switching gas at that point and did not necessarily pay enough attention to the Oceanic+ app. Another day I will be more precise.

It was slightly annoying being locked out as the next dive was logged as snorkling.

one thing i think is bad about the oceanic aw app is that if you don’t hit “i am fit and ready to dive” when you start your dive, it will not record your dive.
I agree, it's bad. Not only does it add one more tedious task for someone to forget, it creates the image of 'Nanny State-ware' that I find highly distasteful. And what purpose is being served here? If I'm all the way out at the dive boat, in gear and about to back roll or giant stride in, what are the odds I'm going to be seized with a moment of insight and call off the dive because the gadget made me realize I'm unfit and unready to dive? Considering the number of people who'll jump in having forgotten and dive anyway, is 'safety' being served or undermined here? Is someone on a guide-led group dive (e.g.: typical Caribbean scenario) going to screw up the dive for the group by realizing the thing's not logging 10 minutes into the dive, signal the guide and have to be taken back to the boat?

So what is the purpose here? So when someone dies on a dive wearing one, the software vendor can say they affirmed on that very dive they were fit and ready to dive?

What next, will be have to push a button to sign off on a dive operator-style disclaimer?

If any of you are in a position to send user reviews back, please, send a loud, clear message that this crap needs to stop.

The "fit and ready" thing is weird for sure. I forget it every time as I don't generally look at my computer early in the dive. It does seem to track time as when I do finally hit it, the current elapsed time for the dive matches my primary DC. I can't say if the profile is also started when it should as all of my dives have been with NDL of 99 minutes. It's concerning that the recorded profile is not correct.

And I also find both the ascent rate and safety stop monitors to be invasive and agressive. The AW vibrates constantly through the safety stop which is very annoying. I can't see how that would help anyone either. If you are doing a stop, you are doing a stop. A simple countdown timer is enough.

...The AW vibrates constantly through the safety stop which is very annoying. I can't see how that would help anyone either. If you are doing a stop, you are doing a stop. A simple countdown timer is enough.
Vibrates constantly? Besides being annoying that will not help battery life...

Speaking of which: we are still looking for real life battery life feedback.

Vibrates constantly? Besides being annoying that will not help battery life...

Speaking of which: we are still looking for real life battery life feedback.
It seems to vibrate at safety stop until you push a button as well as after entering deco it vibrated until I hit the button.

That's annoying... A short (5 to 10 second) alert would be okay. Requiring you to acknowledge normal dive behavior seems silly?
It was annoying/silly and the predive check..up..as well. Maybe there is settings to change it but I didn't take the time to locate them.

What I wanted to find on the watch was a tissue loading screen but never was able to locate one.

But...the screen is great.

Most NDL planners will let you go to a pO2 of 1.6

That's annoying... A short (5 to 10 second) alert would be okay. Requiring you to acknowledge normal dive behavior seems silly?

At least the screen is nice.
Seriously though, the more I try use it the more irritated I get.
It's like Oceanic designed this for complete idiots.

I'd like my computer to give me information and help me manage the dive. Not paint me in a corner and force me to babysit my watch for the duration.

Back
Top Bottom