New Atomic Cobalt – Problem with the down button

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rpawlik

New
Reaction score
Hi,
I just bought my Cobalt around two weeks ago. In total this is a great device but I have some trouble with the down button. Compared to the up button, I need to push with the double pressure as well as twice as deep which is difficult with gloves. All other buttons are very easy to push, independent of the angle. I returned this directly to Atomics (Germany) but got the Cobalt ‘unrepaired’ back with the comment ‘it is in tolerance’.
Can you please share with me if you have the same experience or are all button very ‘easy’ to push?
Thank you,
Ralph

Hello, I have encountered the same problem with 2 of the buttons. I found that the little magnet inserted in the button are affected by rust. I have been able to clean it a little bit and the buttons are now working again however, the rust is still there. I'm waiting for a reply from Atomic.

Contact Atomic. They can send you a replacement button pad if the magnets have rusted. RonR has instructions on how to remove the cover to replace the button pad. (I've replaced my buttons twice due to rust :-( ).

Ralph: I also purchased my Cobalt at about the same time you did (in 2012). I have also had problems with my down button. I sent the computer to Atomic, and they supposedly did something to fix the problem. But, after being at Atomic, the down button on my computer worked no better than before I sent it to them. So, I decided to just live with it and make the best of it. A couple of weeks ago, I went diving for the first time after I had sent the computer to Atomic. Not only did the down button work poorly, but part of the display (along the left edge) completely disappeared on me. Additionally, I have found that it is next to impossible to hear the alarm beeps from this computer - especially when comparing it to other computers at much lower costs. For me, the Atomic Cobalt has been a considerable disappointment and failure. And, Atomic's service is no better. They not only didn't fix my down button, but the computer completely failed after it was sent to Atomic!

March 14th: Update to my above post. No reply from Atomic on this thread. No reply from Atomic that they ever received my computer which I sent them for repair. Maybe some of you have gotten good service from Atomic, but, that is not the case for me.

Also, in above posts, I see that the little magnets that are embedded in the buttons rust over time.
Swell! After spending $1200 on a computer, we should put up with rusted parts who's function diminishes over time!?
Personally, it appears as though there are a few people (Cobalt owners) who are in denial about their Cobalts - because they paid so much for them.

I previously had an Atomic Regulator which squealed when my pressure dropped below 1000 psi. I sent it back to Atomic 3 times and it never was fixed correctly. Atomic NEVER confirmed their receipt of it, they never called or emailed me about it. Rather, they just kept sending it back to me; telling me it was fixed (which it wasn't).

Posting in the Atomic Aquatics sub-forum if you actually want a reply: so easy, anyone could do it.

I've owned two Cobalts, one of which had zero issues despite my buying it used. That one I sold when I moved to a Petrel, but the one I bought new is still my wife's computer. It's been back to Atomic three times (battery oring leak; button issues and recall check; catastrophic flooding on a 190'+ dive where the Cobalt was a backup). Each time, it was back in my hands within less than a week of Atomic receiving it, worked perfectly when I got it back, required only an easy phone call to get everything arranged, and of course cost me nothing. Except for that last time, when they sent me a brand new Cobalt with all new hose and accessories. A $1200 piece of gear isn't nothing, but it's too small a drop in the bucket for me to be in denial over due to cost; that's a special unpleasantness reserved for early adopters of the X1.

Either you're one of a very small minority who has genuinely slipped through AA's customer service cracks, or you're clueless about how dive gear is supposed to work, or you're just a :censored:-stirrer. The tone of your posts makes me think the last two, but anything's possible.

I, too, have had problems with the Cobalt buttons. First time, it was rusted magnet and got a new pad with magnets, no problem. Second time, sent to Atomic. Right now it's down again. The magnets are fine. No amount of pressure or angle helps.

Anyone with ideas? I really like this computer and want to use it. Thanks.

I had the same problem just before a dive trip, when else would it fail? I realized the buttons activate magnetic signals, so I tried a small magnet beside the case... BINGO!

For best results on the Home button, I found touching the case on the side (perpendicular) worked best. It is very responsive and works fine, otherwise, no amount of pushing or wiggling will activate the button.

I'll contact Atomic for a RMA when I return from the trip.

MacGyver lives!

Farmerkid

Back
Top Bottom