New BC help SP/Zeagle/Mares?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuracaoJ

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Okay, I need some help with a BC purchase. Having new family and friends that are starting to dive I'm selling off/giving away my old gear and replacing with what will hopefully be the last gear that I buy in a long long time.

I live in Curacao, and am currently diving with a Mares Pegasus (back inflate). I like the Mares for the most part, but it has a distinct lack of pockets and D rings, and the weights kinda hit my ribcage wrong when I'm all cinched up snug (probably just need a XL instead of an L). It isn't the best BC at dumping air in the world, but I have the acrobatic moves all down to shake out the last bubbles on a safety stop. I'm 6'3", 220# and wear a 46L jacket.

I'm interested in the Knighthawk, Ranger/LTD, and the Mares Icon. Weight and ability to travel with the BC are not an issue.

Here are some concerns.
1. I hate cumberbunds. Are they removable on the Zeagle or SP? If not, I suppose a good pair of shears might work?

2. One thing I love about my current Mares, is that if a roll a little bit I can get more air on one side of the bladder than the other. This allows me to be parallel to the reef as opposed to being perfectly horizontal in the water (tilting a little right or left). It also makes it very easy for me to turn and look up at my most frequent dive partner, who is my son. Does anyone know if the bladders on any of those three would allow for that same kind of position in the water? The shape of the Ranger bladder looks like it would do this, I'm assuming the Icon is similar to the Pegasus, the SP I'm not so sure about. This would really be a deal breaker for me.

3. Service. After just reading reviews on the internet, I'm inclined to go with the Zeagle. Problem is no one sells Zeagle down here that I'm aware of, and as far as I know, no one has service parts for it. Mares and SP both have shops down here, and I like both shops a lot, the Mares guys at Scuba Store are especially nice to deal with.

4. Tank system, plate issues. If I understand correctly (something that rarely happens), the Zeagle has a soft back with two straps. My current system SUCKS for holding my tank (hard back with a plastic cam and a belt that no matter how many times I adjust it always slips back into that I'm-gonna-slip-out-and-be-hanging-on-the-strap-after-your-third-step-to-the-water position). I carry my BC by the tank to the water and get dressed in the ocean all the time. I hear the SP system is metal and solid. Without the solid back on the Zeagle, are there any comfort issues? I don't particularly like the idea of having a BC completely deflated and having a tank smashed into my spine for a 90 minute dive.

5. I currently don't dive with a pony, but the son turns 15 in May and gets his AOW, so I want to start as we'll be going a little deeper. It looks like the Zeagle has a great location for this. What about SP/Mares?

6. Brutally durable. My current Mares is about 4/5 years old and has probably 6-800 dives on it. It's holding up fairly well, but I'd like something that can really take a pounding. Some of the shore dives down here are private sandy/rocky beaches and gear sits around all day without being rinsed for 12-14 hours after its first dive on any given day.

7. Finally I know that most people will say try it on, and dive with it if possible. I would agree, but, that is not an option for me. Both the Mares and the Zeagle have to be ordered in. The SP is available, but they sure as heck aren't going to let me dive with it. No operators have BCs like that in rental pools on the island.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Jeff

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom