New Blacktip setup...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My concern at having a longer 'lanyard' on to the bolt snap would be that it drops the Blacktip down around your feet which would be an embuggerance when climbing on the lift.

But, that 'lanyard' would be way easier to grab when jumping in or flicking it around underwater.

Need to do some knitting this winter!

I see what you're saying now. But, perhaps you think the one I posted is longer than it is? That may just be the perspective in the photos making somewhat of an optical illusion.

If you look at the first photo, you can see that the whole thing only just reaches across the width of the nose. I can't imagine the one you're using is THAT much shorter?

I see what you're saying now. But, perhaps you think the one I posted is longer than it is? That may just be the perspective in the photos making somewhat of an optical illusion.

If you look at the first photo, you can see that the whole thing only just reaches across the width of the nose. I can't imagine the one you're using is THAT much shorter?
When I say around my feet, it'll be above them, but need it above the knees to keep it out of the way when positioning myself on the lift.

Having said that, it's all conjecture! Do need to have more (fun) time playing around with it.

Whatever's said, the Blacktip's a seriously good scuba toy tool for the job!

When I say around my feet, it'll be above them, but need it above the knees to keep it out of the way when positioning myself on the lift.

Having said that, it's all conjecture! Do need to have more (fun) time playing around with it.

Whatever's said, the Blacktip's a seriously good scuba toy tool for the job!

Indeed. I really WANT a Logic Genesis DPV. But, especially now that I have a Tech tube and the v2.2 firmware for my BlackTip, it is REALLY hard to imagine spending all that money.

I taught a DPV class last week to a customer of the shop that bought a BlackTip. He hasn't been able to get batteries yet, so I let him use mine. I borrowed a Magnus for myself to use. The Magnus is definitely not a Genesis. But, it certainly falls in the "Big Boy Scooter" category, based on price. And on burntime. But, dang! After driving that thing around for almost 2 hours, I was really wishing I was using my BlackTip instead.

Question: Isn't Dyneema REALLY hard to cut?

If you had your scooter clipped to you with that leash, would you be able to cut it away in an emergency?
No. Cuts easily enough with a semi-sharp knife. Small serrated blade saws through it in a couple of swipes. 7/64" stuff only has about 8 strands, but still has a breaking strength of over 1500 lbs. Much easier and faster than cutting thicker ghost net

Indeed. I really WANT a Logic Genesis DPV. But, especially now that I have a Tech tube and the v2.2 firmware for my BlackTip, it is REALLY hard to imagine spending all that money.

I taught a DPV class last week to a customer of the shop that bought a BlackTip. He hasn't been able to get batteries yet, so I let him use mine. I borrowed a Magnus for myself to use. The Magnus is definitely not a Genesis. But, it certainly falls in the "Big Boy Scooter" category, based on price. And on burntime. But, dang! After driving that thing around for almost 2 hours, I was really wishing I was using my BlackTip instead.
I thought the firmware was 1.18 from Dive Xtra?

I'm a big fan of the Sea Rovers kayak compass. It's just easier to read than a small console mounted compass. I've found the deviation is very minimal if you have the compass in the middle of the scooter away from motor and nose section.
Same here. My navigation needs are not so precise that a minor error is going to matter. I don't notice any needle jump when I am on the trigger or not. The wire routing inside the scooter isn't fixed so I just make sure to route it so the wires are not directly under the compass. All is good.

The compass that doesn't work for me is the one in the NERD. I turn my head and look around. Where my head is turned to isn't necessarily the direction I am pointed. Cool idea. I know people who never turn there heads, it would work for them. Not for me. It is the backup plan that I hope to never use.

I thought the firmware was 1.18 from Dive Xtra?

It is. V2.2 is an open source modified version of 1.18 that has extra features. Search around here and you can find info about it. I’m on my mobile, or I’d find a link for you.

Same here. My navigation needs are not so precise that a minor error is going to matter. I don't notice any needle jump when I am on the trigger or not. The wire routing inside the scooter isn't fixed so I just make sure to route it so the wires are not directly under the compass. All is good.

The compass that doesn't work for me is the one in the NERD. I turn my head and look around. Where my head is turned to isn't necessarily the direction I am pointed. Cool idea. I know people who never turn there heads, it would work for them. Not for me. It is the backup plan that I hope to never use.

To use the kayak compass, don’t you have to turn your head to look forward to see it? In which case, wouldn’t the NERD compass also read right for you then, too?

I love my NERD compass. I look around, but I’m okay with turning to look straight ahead when I want to check my heading.

No. Cuts easily enough with a semi-sharp knife. Small serrated blade saws through it in a couple of swipes. 7/64" stuff only has about 8 strands, but still has a breaking strength of over 1500 lbs. Much easier and faster than cutting thicker ghost net

Okay, so wouldn’t a piece of paracord (with a bowline knot on each end to make loops), with a breaking strength of 550 to 750 #s, be MORE than strong enough, cheaper, easier, and safer (by virtue of being quicker and easier to cut in an emergency)?

Do you think you might need the extra breaking strength of the Dyneema for some reason?

Okay, so wouldn’t a piece of paracord (with a bowline knot on each end to make loops), with a breaking strength of 550 to 750 #s, be MORE than strong enough, cheaper, easier, and safer (by virtue of being quicker and easier to cut in an emergency)?

Do you think you might need the extra breaking strength of the Dyneema for some reason?

I like the overall look and feel of it myself. The added strength and resiliency is a plus.

It is. V2.2 is an open source modified version of 1.18 that has extra features. Search around here and you can find info about it. I’m on my mobile, or I’d find a link for you.

To use the kayak compass, don’t you have to turn your head to look forward to see it? In which case, wouldn’t the NERD compass also read right for you then, too?

I love my NERD compass. I look around, but I’m okay with turning to look straight ahead when I want to check my heading.
If I am cruising with a heading of 90° I can have my head turned 105° and that is what the NERD says I am going. But I can see the kayak compass is really saying I am going 90°. If I am doing some scanning that will mess me up. Either a steady off to one side scan, the NERD shows where I am looking not where I am going. Or a side to side scan the NERD just swings as I turn and look.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom