New Canon G15, S100 or other point and shoot or 4/3s for about the same $

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am in the same situation...about to buy a new camera and underwater housing.
I am leaning towards the Sony RX100 w/Nauticam UW-housing...but the Canon G15 w/the Canon UW-housing is also a (cheaper) option.

It is fairly easy to see which camera to get if you are looking at a fixed lens compact because nauticam would do a housing
Which means in terms of current model you are looking at Sony rx100, panasonic lx7 and canon s110
In terms of still pictures they go pretty much in order too
1 Sony rx100
2 panasonic lx7
3 canon s110
The first two have battery life of 3+ dives which is something to consider
In terms of grabbing a deal canon s100 are up for grabs
The canon G series do not offer the same wet lens flexibility as the above and on terms of macro doesn't beat the panasonic lx7
Inon just came out with a wet lens for the G series but requires to shoot at f8 pretty much with two strobes

Hmmm...still leaning towards the Sony RX100 w/Nauticam housing.
But for macro with the Sony RX100 I gather that I may need to get a 'wet diopter'...please accept my apologies for my ignorance, but what is that? And what does it look like?

Hmmm...still leaning towards the Sony RX100 w/Nauticam housing.
But for macro with the Sony RX100 I gather that I may need to get a 'wet diopter'...please accept my apologies for my ignorance, but what is that? And what does it look like?

I have the Rx100 and going with the Nauticam housing as well. I also have two of these wet lenses for macro -- Inon UCL-165M67 and a Saga flip mount

Hope that helps.

A diopter shortens the distance the camera can focus at
Despite the specification of minimum focus distance of 2 inches the rx100 struggles in water at close range
Consider that if you compare a canon s100 and a Sony rx100 you need to add a diopter with a power of 6 to the sony to be at the same level of the canon
If you look at the lumix lx7 you need 8.5 to be in par

The Canon S100 is an excellent point and shoot. However, it has a very small sensor. Small sensors limit the resolution you can achieve. Small sensors also limit high ISO performance. However, it depnds on what you are using the camera for. If you want excellent performance over a range of performance issues like macro photography and wide angle photography, you will want a larger sensor. By excellent performance, I mean that you intend to print out large enlargments of your photos so you want a high resolution.

Now if you want a camera that is compact, light, and capable of nice snapshots and crisp photos of smaller enlargements (8X10, 11X14 or maybe larger) then the S100 should be fine. A good photographer can get excellent photos with a point and shoot. Remember the quality of the photography is more about the photographer than the camera.

The mirrorless cameras have sensors at nearly the same size of the DSLR cameras. They also have a range of lenses so they can handle wide angle and macro photography. They cost more than the point and shoots. But they are quite compact.

If you are not using RAW or using strobes, getting more than a point and shoot would seem to be over kill to me. Now some people shoot with existing light and play with the effects. Some of these people really can use a DSLR effectively but it takes quite a bit of knowledge to pull off.

I have a DSLR and it and the ports and other gear required for it weighs as much as my dive gear. It has the advantage over the mirrorless cameras in having a very fast and precise focus.

You might want to get Martin Edge's book on underwater photography. It is not cheap but it will give you some appreciation for more than the basics. Even if you are buying the Canon point and shoot, you are talking about around $1000 if you are talking about strobes, housing, camera and wet lenses. So the more informed decision you can make the better.

Back
Top Bottom