New Canon S1 IS and its Canon WP-DC20 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello everybody !
I am introducing myself : Guillaume from France.
I practice diving and also kitesurfing and surfing and I am very interested by the new Canon S1 IS and its housing.
Is there any review of it for underwater use ?
Does someone has it here ?
Photos exemples ?
I am so happy thinking about using it all summer long diving and kitesurfing ! It can make little films in VGA quality and good normal photos but I don't know underwater because it hax no macro mode and works at 10 cm...

Thanks !

Thalateole:
Hello everybody !
I am introducing myself : Guillaume from France.
I practice diving and also kitesurfing and surfing and I am very interested by the new Canon S1 IS and its housing.
Is there any review of it for underwater use ?
Does someone has it here ?
Photos exemples ?
I am so happy thinking about using it all summer long diving and kitesurfing ! It can make little films in VGA quality and good normal photos but I don't know underwater because it hax no macro mode and works at 10 cm...

Thanks !

Same sort of stuff, any one else know where i can find rewiew?
Also the underwater case doesnt allow the pop-up flash to work, and theres no hot shoe, wondering how to get a flash going on it?

cheers

spmck78:
Also the underwater case doesnt allow the pop-up flash to work, and theres no hot shoe, wondering how to get a flash going on it?

cheers
Opps,
I did miss the issue with the flash, when looking at S1is at the store today... they did not have the UW housing available. Thanks

I am also seriously considering getting the S1is with it's housing. I have heard that these housings are really good. The proble with the flash is the only thing that is my issue. Normally one would use a slave system, but the flash cannot be activated at all in the housing. I think the only way round this is a system similar to video lighting....

Anyone got any comments on the camera itself or should I spend the dosh on something else?

spmck78:

cheers

Don't know about the flash situation. Good question though.
As far as reviews of the camera, I haven't found a better site out there than the following: . . .

www.steves-digicams.com

Very comprehensive.....

spmck78:
About the flash not working I got that info on another site, but it seems that might be wrong as now ive heard that it does work [/url]

I have just got some confirmation from camerasunderwater.co.uk, that the flash with the S1is and the WP-DC20 housing does in fact work. However as with any built in flash on a camera, the results are poor due to backscatter. This wasn't an issue with me as long as I knew that a slave could be triggered by the flash. So I guess my decision has been made and the S1is is the one....

Again more confirmation about the flash from the S1is Product Manager at Canon South Africa

"The underwater housing for the S1 IS camera has sufficient space for the built-in pop-up flash , whether in the "down" or "up" position. While it is in the "up" position and the camera is switched on - it will be drawing power from the batteries. It is therefore worth your while to get very high capacity penlight batteries and get to know the on/off switch well"

So I think the confusion has been settled.

Simon

Back
Top Bottom