New Captain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spear N Fool

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys, my name is Mark and i'm a new captain in the oil rig rich state of Louisiana. I've been spearfishing the rigs for about three years.Was thinking of doing some trips for site seeing only as my hobby is spearfishing. Don't want to mix the two so fun doesn't become work. Also the rigs out of the Mississippi River are in deep water and long boat rides(about 60 to 100 miles round trip).What are your average distance round trip? How many tanks do yall take? I belong to a spearfishing club and we take 4 or 5 divers with 3 tanks each.Well thats a little bit about me and hope to hear from yall and tell me what you think. Are these types of trips possible?
Thanks
Capt Mark

Which license do you have? We usually only run 2 tank trips, 3 tanks and tech are more. We're in Pensacola so the Oriskany is about the farthest we run, usually about 50 miles round trip. It's 22.5 miles from Pcola pass... A two tank Oriskany is $150...

I have a Master near coastal 50 ton. 2 tanks would be ok but 3 would be better because it would be a full day anyway. Want to keep the trips to a 6 pack. After doing a little research, i'll have to get more dive training or bring a divemaster along. I'm in the do I want to do this stage. I got my license to work on a crew boat or supply boat offshore. Just looking at all my options.

I'm in the do I want to do this stage.

Coming from a guy who just set up a 6 pack dive operation from ground zero to running full time in 2 years, I am highly qualified to give this advice: Make damn sure you want to do it before you start.

I am having the time of my life and I love it, but it is totally different than I expected. My diving experience came from running trips with my friends, guys who I knew were self sufficient and solid divers. I got to dive, and spearfish and actually drink a beer afterwards on the ride home. I am sure it is much like your experiences.

Now I have to deal with divers that I meet for the first time at the dock. I have to assess their dives skills by watching them set up their gear, asking them questions and talking to them, all the while being nice and using good customer service skills. Sometimes I have to do this with people that I would NEVER hang out with or dive with. I can't dive unless I have another Captain on board, and sometimes then if there are any marginal divers in the bunch, I still don't dive. If I take people out and it is rough and they get sick, sometimes they blame me or the boat. If the visibility sucks, it is my fault. If they can't find grouper on the ledge (and I know they are there) it is my fault.

This hasn't happened to me yet, but I am sure it is coming at some point. If something goes wrong, you will get smeared on the internet. It may be true, it might not. If something goes really wrong, you will get sued. In the case of the latter, you better be in 100% compliance with every USCG regulation, or not only will you get sued, but you may face CG fines.

Like I said, I am enjoying it and glad I went to the trouble to set it up. But it is not a casual endevour, and not all fun and games.

Did I mention you spend more money than you take in? :shakehead:

Hi & welcome

I'll keep doing things the way i'm doing it for now. The guys from the club are excellent rig divers and don't have to watch them. I already have a babysitting job as a construction manager don't need another one. Like i said earlier i got my captains license for a career change to a crew boat or offshore supply boat and will continue in that direction. I will still do my rescue diver and dive master classes just in case i go the other way.

Remember that if you do charter in the gulf you will need the reef fiesh permit to let your customers spear fish.
Randy

Was thinking site seeing anyway , that makes it easy now. Thanks for the info. For some reason I thought that was a commerical license, but I looked at the NMFS site and found it.

I agree with Tortuga James. Not a casual endeavor, or for the faint at heart. You will be amazed at what you have to deal with and how much you will come to appreciate qualified and accomplished divers. You need to be up on your USCG and dive industry standards. It is helpful if you are DM or above, preferably Instructor. It is always your fault and customers will have no qualms about telling the world how bad you are, even if you aren't.
On the plus side, you get to work with great people, DM's, instructors and other dive industry professionals. Your "bad customers" are fewer and farther between than you think, and the good customers are such a reward.
Go with what works for you, be a good captain in whatever you do, and we'll see you out there.

Capt. Jim
Dr Dive
Dr Dive Pensacola, FL - Home of the USS Oriskany

I have been chartering the great Lakes for the last 30 years now on my 4th boat the boat I have now is inspected and we can carry 19. I always take two helpers one for in the water the other for on board. All my help are divemasters or better that I have trained myself. if you get someone that you have not trained all you have is a c card and we all know how good some are. also the captain cannot leave the boat nomatter what legally.

Back
Top Bottom