NEW Cozumel Update from Aldora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as piers go, when we were there in the first week of Dec. we got picked up and one of the small downtown piers. I don't know "who's" pier it was but the point is we did not have to taxi to the Caletta every day.

Has anyone stayed there? How are the rooms and how does this place compare to other hotels you've been to?

Never stayed there but have heard good things about it....not sure what the status is since Wilma....it is North of town probably would need to take a taxi to their pier in town http://www.aldoravilla.com/ looks very nice

I have not stayed there, but last trip to Cozumel I went up and looked at the rooms. Very nice, I'll probably stay there next trip. The only (slight) downside is that is too far north to walk to town.

as to the question about the new boat sinkings. Sorry no carnival boat but there are three naval boat that are slated to be sunk. Actually i thought that was going to happen last year but so far they are still above water. Two of the three are definintly smaller than the current ship in front of chancanab. The other is larger (not sure if its larger than the current wreck). I saw them in puerto abrigo back in dec. likely trying to decide where to sink them and also clean them up prior to sinking.

Augustus:
as to the question about the new boat sinkings. Sorry no carnival boat but there are three naval boat that are slated to be sunk. Actually i thought that was going to happen last year but so far they are still above water. Two of the three are definintly smaller than the current ship in front of chancanab. The other is larger (not sure if its larger than the current wreck). I saw them in puerto abrigo back in dec. likely trying to decide where to sink them and also clean them up prior to sinking.

Augustus, I'm just curious as to where you are getting this information. I am a dive operator in Cozumel and have heard nothing about this...nor have several of my other friends who own dive ops in Cozumel that I've asked over the past several days.

Perhaps they are going to sink them over off the mainland...which is a completely different story all together.

I'll also contact the marine park on Monday to see what they say about it.

Do you live in Mexico?

it was on the radio and in the news a while back. I believe i saw a mention of it in por esto last week but you can never find the previous articles. Talk to Robert at the National Parks. He mentioned it a while back.

this link will go to two photos of two of the naval ships that were slated to be sunk. http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2114777584 under title naval. its possible they are reconsidering this but i think the park service likes the idea of creating alternate dive sites to lessen the pressure of divers on the main reefs. Just a thought.

Augustus:
this link will go to two photos of two of the naval ships that were slated to be sunk. http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2114777584 under title naval. its possible they are reconsidering this but i think the park service likes the idea of creating alternate dive sites to lessen the pressure of divers on the main reefs. Just a thought.

Thank you! I think you are right...adding alternative sites would be good as long as they don't destroy natural reef in the process! I'm anxious to get the skinny on this. I'll definitely let you all know what I find out after talking to Roberto on Monday :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom