New CPR and ECC guidelines

Have you had to perform 1st aid?

• Yes

Votes: 35 74.5%
  • No

Votes: 12 25.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skinerd

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone engaged in any sport should have a basic knowledge of first aid. Knowing CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) can mean the difference between life and death if done properly and promptly. The American Heart Association has just released it's 2005 Guidelines for CPR and ECC. The new guidelines have simplified CPR so it now can be learnt in a significantly shorter class (aprox. 1 hour). This leaves little excuse for anyone to not attain at least a basic level of competency in CPR. Courses are readily available and do not cost much at all. For anyone who is already qualified I will post a link to the new guidelines. PLEASE PLEASE do not attempt CPR unless you are trained, you may do more damage than good.
Skinerd
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3035517

I think you'll find the changes to CPR procedure and the documents were posted here 2-3 weeks ago :)

skinerd:
PLEASE PLEASE do not attempt CPR unless you are trained, you may do more damage than good.

More damage than dead?

More damage than good if CPR is not needed, and if you are not trained you may not be able to determin if it is needed.

So if CPR is not needed, why would you give it?

The main problem with CPR, is that even when someone is trained in performing CPR, they are hesitant in doing so for fear that they may not do it just right.

Imperfect care delivered, is better than perfect care denied!

It the heart is not beating, you can do no more harm. They are by all standards of measure available to even an MD in the field….dead!

my point was that if the heart is still beating and compressions are performed improperly it can do more damage than good.

skinerd:
my point was that if the heart is still beating and compressions are performed improperly it can do more damage than good.

Which is why we stress "looking for signs of circulation" in the EFR course. If the person is properly trained in CPR, it will not be an issue.

I can name one condition where you would perform chest compressions on a person who in all likelihood has a beating heart. Do you know what that condition is?

skinerd:
unconscious chocking vic

Give that diver a cigar! :D

Q: Has anyone attempted to test out the "NEW" standard in compression to breath ratio yet?

AND: If you had, did you need a blast of Oxygen just to keep from passing out after 2 or 3 minutes?

What the heck were they thinking when they came up with that one?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom