New CPR and ECC guidelines

Have you had to perform 1st aid?

• Yes

Votes: 35 74.5%
  • No

Votes: 12 25.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We tried it in one of the 1st Responder classes I was teaching. Did not seem like much more of a workout than normal.

The new standard hasn't been applied to the EFR course....yet. But with some students struggling with 15/2 for 2 minutes already, I am curious to see how the 30/1 will play out. That's if it gets implemented.

Besides, we should be stressing the use and deployment of the AED over CPR, as it’s success rate at resuscitation is over 70 percent as compared to less than 10 for CPR alone. At a price of $900.00 per unit now, and dropping, it will start showing up in more public places finally.

Strange question for the poll though. I get retrained in CPR and first aid every year. I have never had to perform CPR, but I have had to put on a bandaid, so I voted yes.

pt40fathoms:
The new standard hasn't been applied to the EFR course....yet. But with some students struggling with 15/2 for 2 minutes already, I am curious to see how the 30/1 will play out. That's if it gets implemented.

30/1 ? geez I'm sick of the cpr standards changing. Seems like they change it every year. 5 years ago 15/2 then they changed to something else, then to 5/1, now 30/1? I'm beginning to wonder what the hell those people are smoking. Maybe next year they'll bring back the 'pre-cardial thump'. Any here remember that little gem?

FD

I do... :wink:

1974ish... Dropped when too many victims came in to ERs with flail chests and broken sternums from people 'doing it like on tv' -- or at least that was what we were told when that change came through.

I also remember when Red Cross instructors had to run a 5 minute near-to-perfect tape on a recording Annie to pass the instructor's practical. (a paper tape came out of the maniquin's side recording the timing and strength of the compressions and breathing.)

And now we teach the skill in under an hour :11:

On the topic of "who remembers" -- how about inflatable Annies? (Get your mind out of the gutter!)

plsander:
I do... :wink:

1974ish... Dropped when too many victims came in to ERs with flail chests and broken sternums from people 'doing it like on tv' -- or at least that was what we were told when that change came through.

I also remember when Red Cross instructors had to run a 5 minute near-to-perfect tape on a recording Annie to pass the instructor's practical. (a paper tape came out of the maniquin's side recording the timing and strength of the compressions and breathing.)

And now we teach the skill in under an hour :11:

On the topic of "who remembers" -- how about inflatable Annies? (Get your mind out of the gutter!)

I remember the perfect tape rather well...I had to do it just last year. And not for a instructor practical. I'm not sure that it is "required" but we do it.

The class that I took was two 8 hour days. One was first aid the other was CPR..that was a refresher course. I don't rememeber what it was when I first got my card. BTW, this wasn't for a first responder, just a construction worker wanting to know how to help a buddy.

I have never needed to use it and hope I never do.

jim ernst:
ever had to do first aid? yup, christmas day, this year, cpr , no she didnt make it!! i tried!!!!

Dont feel bad about it. Been doing compressions on folks for 5 years now, and haven't had one survive yet. Most had "a pulse" when we arrived at the ER, but that was just the drugs pushed.

As a matter of fact, I havent got to feel any sternal ribs cracking in a while. I try to let the new guys have the experience.

You did the best you could, and like was said before in this thread there is only a 1in10 chance of CPR being effective.

Not sure if this is topical, but the ACLS guidelines are changing too, I hear. No more stacked shocks, and all shocks delivered at 200j equivalent if biphasic and 360j if monophasic. The use of Epi and lidocaine in VF and pulseless VT is discontinued, and Epi is now optional in PEA and asystole, with vasopressin taking the lead.

Incidentally, I have done a precordial thump in the past two weeks (successfully, I might add). It is still taught here, just not as a preferred treatment. Done correctly, it is effective, esp if done immediately, and I will do it as long as I do not have pads in place yet, with a witnessed arrest.

Still, I have only had (in 16 years of EMS) 10 or fewer patients who coded make it to discharge. Mostly, they die in the ER or they die on the floor. The ones that make it though, remind you of why we try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom