New Curfew?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK...let's all "pinky swear" to post reports while we're down there. We need to make sure all of you prospective divers understand that everything is fine. I will be posting another "Live From Roatan" thread beginning the week of October 10th from Fantasy Island Beach Resort - just like I did during the last "crisis" the first week of July when Zelaya was first removed from office.

Not to worry...tourists in Roatan will be fine. I'll be sure to share what I see when I get there.

Glad to hear of this, I can barely sleep in anticipation of my trip this week.

You're going to love it...have a grand time! Give us an update if you get a chance and let us know what the atmosphere is like when you get there...

On my way to work this morning, I came across police officers who mentioned the curfew was in effect from 7 am - 4 pm. At about noon it was lifted for us here in Roatan. It was quite inconvenient for our students and our fun divers. We are back in the water tomorrow.

Hi Everybody,

I am on Utila, the ferry is running and there was a curfew for one day only. The curfew in the bay islands was lifted on Tuesday afternoon. We are presuming the ferry will run every day as long as the curfew is lifted on the mainland between 10am and 4pm

So Zelaya got back in... I can't speak of what is happening on the mainland but let me update you on the situation on the Bay Islands.
On Monday the 21st September we recognised the overnight curfew. As ever, the authorities were very fair and allowed us all to buy our necessary supplies.
The following day, after talking to the authorities on the mainland, the curfew was lifted throughout the Bay Islands. There are no restrictions here, all businesses are now open and our Dive Centres are running as normal.
As of the morning of Wednesday 23rd, the ferry is running this afternoon from La Ceiba to Utila. I hear it is at 3pm but I would get there much, much earlier just in case. The curfew is lifted between 10am and 4pm on the mainland so there should be transport links up and running.
Take care and if you're stuck on the mainland, be patient and we'll see you soon

So Zelaya got back in... I can't speak of what is happening on the mainland but let me update you on the situation on the Bay Islands.
On Monday the 21st September we recognised the overnight curfew. As ever, the authorities were very fair and allowed us all to buy our necessary supplies.
The following day, after talking to the authorities on the mainland, the curfew was lifted throughout the Bay Islands. There are no restrictions here, all businesses are now open and our Dive Centres are running as normal.
As of the morning of Wednesday 23rd, the ferry is running this afternoon from La Ceiba to Utila. I hear it is at 3pm but I would get there much, much earlier just in case. The curfew is lifted between 10am and 4pm on the mainland so there should be transport links up and running.
Take care and if you're stuck on the mainland, be patient and we'll see you soon

Are the airports open on Roatan? Just curious, news about Honduras here is almost non existant.

Airports are now open on Roatan and curfew has been lifted...here is the notice sent earlier today from the State Department;

U.S. Embassy Tegucigalpa
Avenida La Paz
Tegucigalpa, Honduras

To: All American Citizens
Date: September 23, 2009
Subject: Warden Message - Updates to
Curfew

The Embassy advises American citizens residing in and visiting Honduras
that the de facto regime extended the curfew announced Monday, September
21, 2009 until 6:00 p.m. Wednesday, September 23, 2009. The de facto
regime then announced that the curfew would be lifted from 10:00 a.m. to
5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, September 23, 2009. Immediately following the
lifting of the curfew, there were reports of extremely long lines at
some supermarkets and gas stations. The Embassy strongly encourages
American citizens to abide by the curfew when it is in place and to
exercise caution when traveling during the periods when the curfew is
lifted. Also, American citizens should monitor local television and
radio for updates to travel restrictions and other security measures.
The curfew was completely lifted in the Bay Islands as of 12:00 p.m.
September 22, 2009.

Back
Top Bottom