New Delta service to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will White

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I think this is the right forum to post this, if not, please shift it appropriately for me.

I just got the most recent Bonaire newsletter and they had this info in it.....I thought some other folks may be interested because I'm seriously considering it...Nice price and close to home airport!

BONAIRE ANNOUNCES DELTA AIR LINES TO ADD NON-STOP SERVICE BETWEEN NEW YORK AND BONAIRE DECEMBER 20, 2008
- Special Introductory Rate of $239 Each Way Now Available -

Tourism Corporation Bonaire is pleased to announce that beginning December 20, 2008 Delta Air Lines, the world’s second largest airline, will add a weekly non-stop flight from New York to/from Bonaire.

Delta Air Lines flight #553 will depart John F. Kennedy International Airport Saturdays at 10:35 a.m. arriving into Bonaire’s Flamingo International Airport at 4:25 p.m. The return flight #554 will depart Bonaire Saturdays at 5:15 p.m. arriving into New York JFK at 9:05 p.m. Delta will use a 154 seat, 737-800 Boeing aircraft with 16 first class seats and 138 economy seats for these flights.

To celebrate the new service, Delta is offering one-way special fares of $239 from New York to Bonaire (based on a round-trip purchase) for purchase by August 6, 2008 for travel between January 10 and April 4, 2009. Additional taxes/fees/restrictions apply. Fare is available for purchase only on Delta Air Lines - Airline Tickets and Airfare to Worldwide Destinations or from a travel professional.

Will,

Welcome to the site! Hope you will truly enjoy it. Scubaboard is a wealth of wonderful info!

To get the intro rate you will need to select based on "schedule" not price. This was also announced last week: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/abc-islands/244462-delta-now-flying-non-stop-bonaire-jfk.html

The website was so overwhelmed that it crashed the delta system set up for Bonaire flights, but now is up and working fine.

If you can get on the flight at that price, I would do it now!

Liz

Thanks Liz, I didn't even know this forum was here it's buried so deep in sub-forums...I saw the other posts once the post got moved over here. I might go for it, I doubt it'll be a refundable fare...that's the only thing that scares me. You know, the "whatifs".

My only real concern with the time is the arrival time. Last time I went to Bonaire with the local dive shop the plane got in too late for us to register at the dive shop so we weren't able to get right in the water, we had to wait till the next morning. I don't remember the time of day though...

Will,

This is true, most dive shops have their orientations in the morning. I know that some dive shops, however, will work with guests to get them orientated if you contact them.

However, with it arriving after 4pm, then having to get your vehicle, get to your hotel, check in, get to your room, get your gear, etc, it will probably be after 6pm.

Enjoy a nice dinner in town, RELAX and get up bright and early the next morning to DIVE, DIVE, DIVE!!!!

Liz

Phew... I got scared I had to booked ANOTHER Bonaire holiday! I hate company's that do this 'one-day' BS to make the price look low.

We're scheduled for one of those flights in mid-January. Departure/arrival times soooooo much better than the late night flights out of Newark.

That would be about the only reason to go Delta for me. Continental's prices and location is better but being so whacked out after that night flight, Delta's times would certainly give a little better start for the first day. Sunday morning would be a torture waiting for that orientation though. Orientation at 9/10 am means I already lost 2 dives!!!

Nice to hear there is a new option but it reminds me of the old AJ flights (which was a code share of Delta). The flight down was great but coming back stunk. You ended up sitting around all day waiting to go home. Out of the room at 11 and pretty much no where to go but the unairconditioned area of the airport until check in time. Add to that there was only 1 flight home out of Atlanta that late and if you were a little late out of Bonaire, you were stuck sleeping in the airport until morning. Unless the price is right, I will still take the Cont redeye, I lose sleep but gain a day of diving...I can sleep when I get home.

Herman,

I think this flight would be good for those living in the northeast, especially with the return time to JFK. Some will be able to "drive home", Will others who take it will have to overnight at JFK and take a flight the next day.

To be honest, I don't know what I would do. I've taken the Red Eye out of Newark and it was NOT fun at all. I couldn't sleep and started out in Charlotte, NC. I must say the actual 4 hours (more or less) was the drudge. Continental treated us great in Charlotte & Newark, flights on times and I actually ENJOYED the layover in Newark as the International Terminal is actually like a mini shopping mall!!!

If I did the JFK thing, I would end up staying with Ed's family somewhere on Staten Island, then see my family in South Jersey the next day.

For some, taking the layover in JFK is better than a red eye. I just don't know.

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom