New diagnosis for the bends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rmediver2002

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
This was in the most recent newletter from the Institute of Diving newsletter and sounds like something very interesting to watch!!

Dr. Michael Bennet (University of South Wales) has found that after diving , a person can have a few tiny bubbles in the tear fluid that gathers in the lower eyelid. After a normal dive there can be up to three bubbles, divers who are bent may have between twenty and thirty bubbles in the fluid.

Counting the bubbles may be a quick and low cost method to aid in differential diagnosis in the near future...

Stay tuned for more information...

Jef Lane

Here I thought I was on the cutting edge...

Old news to everyone but me apparently, you don't happen to have a different link available do you? The one on the previous thread is not active and I am very interested in what was published...

Thanks,
Jeff Llane

I just tried that link & it worked fine.

Double click on it.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Dear Jeff:

Tear Film Bubbles ;-0

If these bubbles persist for more than just a few hours, they may have some value in diagnosis. Doppler bubbles are usually gone from the venous system after a couple of hours post dive even in "bent" individuals. :scuba:

This has been reported several years ago. The references are in the ASK DR DECO Forum on another thread. Available from a technical library.

The ATTACHMENT (from my Deco Physiology Class) is a photo sent to me and is courtesy of Dr Michael Lepawski of Canada. The bubbles in this case are beneath a contact lens.

Dr Deco :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom