New dive club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greg D.

Contributor
Reaction score
I know that most of you are west siders but for any of you on the east side of Washington We are forming a new dive club based in Moses Lake, Columbia Basin Divers! Our meetings will be held monthly and we will get together to dive at least that often as well. For more info check our web site at http://www.geocities.com/columbiabasindivers/ or shoot me an email at columbiabasindivers@yahoo.com

--Greg

How is the Diving ?
I work for Blinsky Trucking out of Yakima,WA
I was thinking I would like to find a few dive sites in the area for when im takeing time off but dont have the time to drive all the way home out here on the oregon coast.
I live in the Seaside,OR area but work out of Yakima and noticed a few places that looked like they might have some potential as dive sites.
also what kind of member ship fee are you looking at?
and are you doing this through a dive shop or just as a few divers wanting to share the fun with each other?

Sparky

Scubasonic:
Probably doesn't mean there can't be another???

Not at all...But, When you are dealing with a populace of about 10,000 people, and probably less than 100 divers, it sometimes just makes sense to get involved with an existing organization rather than start all over from scratch and reinvent the wheel.

David Thiesfeld:
Greg,
There already is a dive club in Moses Lake and its called Desert Divers.

Regards-
Yeah I have heard of them, I dont think they have had a meeting in the last year, and I know one of the members and most of them are warm water wussies. I want people who will dive in the 38 degree water I was in saturday :D and FYI there is 15,000 in M.L an that is just the city limits there is probably another 5-7000 in the surrounding area.

How is the Diving ?
I work for Blinsky Trucking out of Yakima,WA
I was thinking I would like to find a few dive sites in the area for when im takeing time off but dont have the time to drive all the way home out here on the oregon coast.
I live in the Seaside,OR area but work out of Yakima and noticed a few places that looked like they might have some potential as dive sites.
also what kind of member ship fee are you looking at?
and are you doing this through a dive shop or just as a few divers wanting to share the fun with each other?

Sparky

The diving is good! I'm not sure of what Yakima has to offer as I have never dove there, but we have a few good lakes arround here, not to mention the Columbia river. Lake Chelan is close and had good vis. But no matter how good the diving I'm not gonna sit arround and wait for Cozumel once a year!

Gregoire:

I know what you mean I dive year round myself. warm water trips are fun but come to far apart.

I was wondering abut the dive sites you metioned I knew there is not a lot of diving in Yakime if any .

I am thinking of loading my gear on my truck and doing some diving in the area.
with in a couple hours or so drive of Yakima

Ill let you know if I decide to put it on the truck maybew we could get together and do a dive.

check you later
Sparky

Gregoire:
Yeah I have heard of them, I dont think they have had a meeting in the last year, and I know one of the members and most of them are warm water wussies. I want people who will dive in the 38 degree water I was in saturday
04.gif
and FYI there is 15,000 in M.L an that is just the city limits there is probably another 5-7000 in the surrounding area.

Well...You have couple of things going on over there:

1) The long time president of the club burned out and stepped down, and the club has been less active because of this. Its hard to run a club when you dont have energetic new blood coming in to share the load, so to speak. You sound like you've got the energy, you might want to concentrate it there. Oh...and the warm water wuss comments is not going to help win them back...

2) The search and rescue team had to perform a rescue on one of their own members becuase she was suffering from a one size fits all drysuit neckseal. Her buddy let her swim back to shore by herself and he resumed his dive... long story short, she passed out face down on the surface..
Many of the dive club members were heavily involved with the SAR team and became disillusioned and somewhat less than enthusiastic about their local diving...your going to have to work hard to get them back...

regards-

sparkyjames:
Gregoire:

I know what you mean I dive year round myself. warm water trips are fun but come to far apart.

I was wondering abut the dive sites you metioned I knew there is not a lot of diving in Yakime if any .

I am thinking of loading my gear on my truck and doing some diving in the area.
with in a couple hours or so drive of Yakima

Ill let you know if I decide to put it on the truck maybew we could get together and do a dive.

check you later
Sparky

Sparky,

We have a few lakes that I like to go One is Billy Clapp, North of Moses Lake about20-30 minutes, not a whole lot to see but its usually about 20 foot vis. But I dont have a boat so my access to the lake is limited. Upper Goose Lake is closer to Othello and can have some decent vis 10-15ft. lots of cars to find in that lake, I was there Sat but the wind had things stirred up pretty bad adn only had 5-6 feet of vis. I really want to start exploring the Columbia River, every time I have been in it I have had Great Vis.

Let me know if you are heading this way for a dive I have Fri Sat Off most of the time and my wife is pretty forgiving when it comes to sneaking off for a few dives :D

David Thiesfeld:
Well...You have couple of things going on over there:

1) The long time president of the club burned out and stepped down, and the club has been less active because of this. Its hard to run a club when you dont have energetic new blood coming in to share the load, so to speak. You sound like you've got the energy, you might want to concentrate it there. Oh...and the warm water wuss comments is not going to help win them back...

2) The search and rescue team had to perform a rescue on one of their own members becuase she was suffering from a one size fits all drysuit neckseal. Her buddy let her swim back to shore by herself and he resumed his dive... long story short, she passed out face down on the surface..
Many of the dive club members were heavily involved with the SAR team and became disillusioned and somewhat less than enthusiastic about their local diving...your going to have to work hard to get them back...

regards-
Sounds like you know more about whats goin on here than I do :crafty: , but I'm not to sure on the accuracy of you statements on the SAR team, Being a member of the SAR team I know of one of us who is a memeber of the Desert Divers, And to my knoledge there has never been any major accidents on the team, but I will find out tonight.

As far as working hard to get the divers to come back, if they want to dive they will come back, if not that doent hurt my feelings. It's not that I wouldnt want them its just, I like to dive, I dont care if its 13 degrees and the snow is coming down, its all about comitment and I'm not going to wait arround for some other club to get back on its feet :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom