New dive destination South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe that posting pictures showing the two reef systems that you obviously have a lot of experience diving would allow each reader to appreciate the difference for themselves. I dive crappy cold dark waters all the time so I guarantee my definition of "tropical" is very different from yours. Pictures allow me to see what you mean.

No ScubaSteve I am a travel agent but foremost I am diver and it does not bother me which destination people visit.
I try to post articles of interest, but Deefstes follows me round like a stalker and always comes up with stupid remarks

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

If anyone feels they are being stalked or harassed by another user, please use the
report.gif
button so that it can be investigated.

So if you are impartial why interfere I will rather leave Scuba Board than have to put up with people like this

Travel agent eh? I am not impartial. I am looking to book a trip and it is between Sodwana and Mabibi.....so far I am not feeling the love for either. Why would I pay the high rates at Mabibi when I could go elsewhere.....sell me.

My point is, if you are a travel agent, then you should be looking to sell vacations and telling people off does not encourage me to spend money. People looking here would be better persuaded by posting lots of pictures of how it is better than seeing you attack another poster.

Travel agent ye I am the owner of the Travel Africa Group rated one of the top ten in South Africa and No. 1 in Mozambique I do not sell anything you must make up your own mind wheather you want to dive with 10 other people on reefs that have been over exployted or almost virgin reefs

Holy smokes, this is hilarious! I guess quoting myself from earlier in the thread is in order
I'm not sure what you mean by this but Mabibi is no more tropical than Sodwana Bay? It's only about 20km north of Sodwana Bay.
So this is the post that triggered your diatribe about me making "stupid remarks" and that I "don't know what I'm talking about".

Let me be clear on a few things.
1. The fact that we are both South African means that, naturally, we will both frequent the forums dealing with African dive issues. Jumping to the conclusion that I'm stalking you is perhaps a bit self entitled. I honestly don't consider you that interesting or important to warrant following you around.

2. Every other post you make (the one that started this thread inclusive) includes a URL pointing straight to your own travel agency. This is fine by me but don't try to convince the readers that you are impartial and do not stand to gain financially from these posts.

3. I'm not sure where Jolo's sudden animosity towards me comes from as I recall only cordial exchanges with him in the past. Perhaps it sprouts from him standing to benefit in exactly the same way as you, being involved with the same travel agency?

4. My post in this thread still stands and has still not been answered. I'd like to understand what you mean by Mabibi being the "only tropical dive destination in South Africa". Surely that is a reasonable question considering that both Mabibi and Sodwana Bay lies a good 450km south of the Tropic of Capricorn, putting them well outside the geographical region defined as the tropics. Admittedly, different people apply the adjective "tropical" differently (although usually to describe the climate of a region), and that is exactly what I was inquiring about. What is your definition of "tropical" because a distance of 20km between two sites could hardly effect much of a climate difference between the two.

5. No, I have not dived at Mabibi before so I can not compare it to Sodwana Bay. Perhaps it is because I don't have enough money like you imply, or perhaps it is because I refuse to pay such exorbitant prices to see and experience my own country.

6. I do find it curious how you didn't explode in Kosmonooit's or ScubaSteve's faces who were the ones to comment on the steep price tag, but you do explode in my face when I inquire about your definition of "tropical" and then continue to patronise me (and rather feebly I should add) on the amount of money I have.

Finally, allow me to comment on your reply to my post:
Deeftes you always come in with remarks and most times you do not know what you are talking about I have never known Sodwana to be tropical it is completly commercial and has been ruined apart from that how much soft coral is left there?
I have dived at both resorts and you cannot compare them if you have enough money to try Mabibi you will understand what I mean!!!!!!
Do I surmise correctly from this that your definition of "tropical" is the opposite of "commercial"? If so, would you like to revise your comment perhaps on who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't?

How much soft coral is there at Sodwana Bay? I don't know, let's see what your own website says:
"The waters in and around Sodwana Bay are host to a wide variety of Indo-Pacific marine life. Colourful reef fishes, sharks, rays, pelagic game fishes, 95 identified species of beautiful hard and soft corals, sponges and tons of other incredible invertebrates, everything any diver could want."

Seems you're singing a different tune depending on what you're trying to sell. Not to worry, this thread offers you an excellent opportunity now to come clear. Is Sodwana Bay "everything any diver could want" or "has it been ruined"? I'm sure as a travel agent who has extensive experience you should be able to put the minds of prospective visitors (such as ScubaSteve) at ease.

ScubaSteve and the rest, if my uninformed opinion is anything to go by, Sodwana Bay is fantastic! I have heard from different sources that it is considered one of the best dive sites in the world (whatever that means). I have only limited experience of international diving destinations but if I could choose between Sodwana Bay, Florida Keys or the Mediterranean, I would choose Sodwana Bay in a heart beat.

Now that was well said by Deefstes ...I could not agree with you more about Sodwana being an excellent dive destination and as far as the differences in distance and price between Sodwana and Mabibi.....I would rather dive more often and relax at night under the stars whilst camping in the bush, than dive less because i have to pay exorbitant prices for exclusivity and luxury in some magic spot 20 km away........Surely divers appreciate the ocean for its scenes and sealife ?
At 7 & 9 mile reefs Sodwana compares to the best reefs anyware....

:D

I think it is a case of your preference what you want from a destination I prefer Mabibi it is not the quantity but the quality that matters to me and the extra cost at Mabibi is well worth it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom