New Dive Operation In St. John, USVI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beachman

Reaction score
Well, it's not exactly new.....let's say "resurrected".

St. John Dive Adventures is a dive operation that has been located in Coral Bay (East End) for a number of years. However, it stopped actively doing business 3 - 4 years ago. In 2002 Brad Richardson (340-714-7597, brad@stjohndiveadventures.com) ) and Jay Cash (340-714-7596, jay@stjohndiveadventures.com) purchased the business. These guys have reworked the boat, serviced all the tanks and equipment, invested a bunch of money, and generally turned this into a top notch service-oriented dive operation. For more general information you can look them up on the web at www.stjohndiveadventures.com or call them toll free at 866-771-3483.

If this sounds like an unabashed advertisement, which I typically would be loath to do, IT IS! However, I feel this is kind of a special circumstance since some folks might remember the "old" operation in a less than favorable light. Some may also only be aware of the two main ops on the island in the Cruz Bay area on the west end of the island and at the Westin, Cruz Bay Watersports and Low Key Watersports, both of which are fine operations. However, except for one weekly trip to the BVI's to dive the wreck HMS Rhone, they only visit the "standard" west end dive sites close to Cruz Bay. Having over 50 dives with these shops over the years and about 400 logged dives total, guided tours of the "same old - same old stuff" is pretty boring for me anymore.

So what's different about Brad & Jay's operation? First of all they are diving east end sites close to Coral Bay where their boat is located. Generally I'd rate these sites as better on reef condition and coral formation than the west end, and about the same on fish life and critters. Secondly they are about an hour less boat run to the BVI's to do the HMS Rhone, which cuts a couple hours total off the round trip and adds two more hours to topside vacation activities. Third, they have a compressor on board the boat (no nitrox) and keep all equipment on the boat, so no "Oh crap, I forgot ___________ on the dock" to worry about. The boat is capable of handling probably 8 - 10 divers in a crowded situation, but they run it as a 6-pack maximum and it is very roomy and convenient with this limited number of divers. And last, but most importantly, these guys are all gung ho as new owners with their own bucks in it to make everybody enjoy their trip, no matter what it takes.

One short example that happened to me. I only dove twice with them because the boat engine overhaul wasn't completed until four days before I returned home. Jay is in the water as a DM/Guide on every dive (standard procedure in the islands), and me being alone he also was my "buddy" the first day. The second day we had a lady from the UK on the boat who was a good diver, but hadn't been in the water for several years. Without a word from me, Jay said "I'm going to have to keep her shallow on both dives. If you want to go solo and get deeper, the ledge is about 100 yards at 240 degrees off the point and bottoms out at about 80'. We can meet back at the point after about 40 minutes and return to the boat together." I happen to dive solo quite a bit from my own boat and as a DM, so boy did Jay make me a happy diver! I strongly suspct similar flexibility would be shown to others who gave them a chance to observe their skills a few times.

Another example.....the first day Brad polled the divers and asked if they would like to sleep in and leave later than 8:30 AM the next day, since they didn't have an afternoon trip booked yet. WOW!

If you want to flame me for advertising, I guess it will be. It just seemed to me this was "newsworthy", as well as an advertisement.

Personally I see your thread no different than anyone else's trip report and recommendation.

Also, in that I have traveled a couple of times to St John and thought about going back....I now would have a tendency to go back more because of the good support.

No problem from me. But there are people that dont like sugar and chocolate too!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom