New Dive Site naming trend :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a scientist, it really bothers me when boat operators and others use non-standard names for dive sites here on Catalina. If one images or collects an unusual critter and refers to the location by one of these non-standard names, it may make it difficult for other (and future) scientist to know where it is.

I've noticed lately that dive ops are starting to call dive sites by different names than what are the "common" or "mapped" names of the sites.

... is this a marketing ploy to "personalize" these sites to the dive op's customers?

It's a little confusing to those who don't dive with that particular op. Let's try and keep with the program folks.

... and while I'm at it, learn your hand signals for crying out loud! :D
Answer A

for some reason or maybe it's the furver of the newly converted ...but everyone one wants to reinvent the wheel..

As a scientist, it really bothers me when boat operators and others use non-standard names for dive sites here on Catalina. If one images or collects an unusual critter and refers to the location by one of these non-standard names, it may make it difficult for other (and future) scientist to know where it is.

my thoughts exactly Doc. They are doing A LOT of coral and animal research on our reefs. Correct ID of location would be very helpful.

I never learned that hand signal.o_O

no. that's a completely different rant. ;-)

I've completely stopped going over to people who just motion for me to come over and just point at something.

If I don't know what it is, I'm not bothering to waste air swimming over to them to see a damn Arrow crab!

Probably doesn't matter anyway. I might be getting grounded because of my eye issues.

Sharky- "Probably doesn't matter anyway. I might be getting grounded because of my eye issues."
I'm so sorry to hear this..... I always appreciate your perspective here! I hope your "grounding" is a longer way off than you think.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom