New diver & 1st Catalina trip this Sunday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrex

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, I've been reading this board for months now and with lots of info finally got my gear - MK25/S600 & 190 octo, Balance BC, Veo 250. I have only 14 dives, all in Belize and am going on the Cee Ray this Sunday to Catalina for my first California cold water dive.

Next I need to convince my dive buddy wife that's it's not so cold, the viz is fine and there's lots of cool stuff to see in California waters

Thanks to everyone for all the knowledge I've gained from this board, more than I've learned from the magazines. Hope to see some of you diving someday!

Hope you and your wife enjoy diving our waters! Just wish our kelp forests hadn't been so decimated for your visit.

I've dived in a lot of places and find Catalina to be on par with just about anywhere. True, it is cold, but the kelp forests, even now are nothing short of spectacular. Enjoy your dives and let us know how they go.

Welcome to the ScubaBoard!
Enjoy your Catalinsa dives. I dove the Channel Islands for my first Pacific dives this last April and yea its colder than Belize, but the kelp forests make it much more interesting!!

Welcome and congrats on the diving. Hope you enjoy ScubaBoard!

Congratulation to your new gears, you have tip top MK25/S600!!!
Welcome to :sblogo:
:wave-smil :wave-smil
:chicken:

Howdy and welcome to SB!

Catlaina is great diving and this time of year is the warmest I guess. I like Scuba Luv and their 3 tank trip with lunch.

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Click the link in my Sig below to PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

dove catalina last saturday and found the water quit warm
the viz was 40-60 feet
i wore a two peice 7 mil and was way warm
at 40 feet the temp was 60+
at 67 feet the temp was 55+
one of my best dives have fun

Going from Belize waters to Calf Channel Islands is going to be a change. Wearing a beanie on the dives will help tremendously as the water can suck heat out of your head very fast. Neoprene gloves and high booties, of course.

Do not air-dry your hair; wear a cap with solid fabric at least. If you do get chilled by a dive, pour warm water inside your suit after a dive and again just before you go in. Drink warm liquids only that day, no cold ones - ever.

I've seen 50 degrees there. If the water stings your face a bit, no worries. Your capillaries will adjust and it'll stop in a few seconds. That happened to me when I hit a 47 degree thermocline near Seattle last month - great dive.

Have fun! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom