New diver buying first BC. Scubapro knighthawk? need help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I first started diving, I bought a SP Knighthawk. Used it 5+ years with no problems and loved the BCD. My wife (she had the Ladyhawk) had her bladder punctured while traveling in Australia and SP took care of it and sent her a brand new BCD. That's great customer service!

My only complaint is that I'm not a fan of the Air2 (or any inflator/air source combo). I have never had to use my Air2, but my wife and another friend both had an OOA situation and had to share air. It did the job, but was not very comfortable. Although I use a BP/W now I still have my Knighthawk. I am planning on swapping out the Air2 for a regualr inflator and will dive it once in awhile.

Good luck.

The Knighthawk is bulky and adds lots of drag in current. Go with the Classic Sport instead. It's the most streamlined BC you'll find. If you're ever in current, you'll hate the Knighthawk and love the Classic Sport.

It does look streamlined ... Classic Sport has no integrated weights (a plus for many) and has a much better price than the Knighthawk too (found it for $325)

try a BPW first...after trying a bunch of BC's, including a rear-inflator, I finally got to test out a Halcyon Eclipse BPW this weekend. It was far superior to everything else. BC's have a built-in problem - the position of the weights relative to the buoyancy cell creates a lever-arm. When you put the weight in line with the cell, everything works better. Don't buy anything till you test a good BPW.

I have the nighthawk with air2 an love it,but if you can rent it borrow it go for it.The LDS I deal with all the DM and instructors all dive with the nighthawk.The core instructor has a BP/W only seen him dive it ones.Try what ever gear you can bottom line its your hard earned money

The Nighthawk with Air II was my first and is still my BC. I bought it used with Mk 16 and G250HP. Recently switch to a dry suit and have been having some issues with it fit and trim. It is probably just me have to relearn. I only got it because it was a good deal, I really like the the Reg, and I like back inflate.
I do not think I would buy it new for the money I would look at different BCs or go BP/W. Someday I will try the BP/W and see if it really makes a difference. If you have oppertunitys to try different stuff make sure you do it. Good Luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom