New Diver from VA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pThrift

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all.
I'm new here, and reasonably new to diving. My wife & I are both divers, and we are planning our first salt dive in two weeks. Pretty excited about it. Heading to Myrtle Beach Sc. Hopefully someone here will suggest which dive charter is most likely our better option for being new divers. I've looked at Coastal Scuba, and they seem pretty nice going only by a phone call the other day.

While closer to home we do a lot of diving with the PDRA quarries in North Carolina. For us it's only about a 25 minute drive to get there, so I try to get down there twice a week and my wife once a week.

Anyway. I'm the new guy, and I'm sure you'll see me around here (and maybe I'll meet some new faces down at the quarry too)

PS- recommendations on a good bag to take on a dive boat? I'm thinking a mesh bag would be best, but do any stand above the rest? And do I need to get two bags (one for both of us) or will one accommodate two mask/fin/snorkel, bcds, & regs?

Coastal has a good reputation. We looked at them also. We dove with Express Watersports out of Murrell's Inlet instead. Mostly because we stayed in Litchfield Beach so they were closer. If you're staying on the north side of Myrtle Beach it's a decent drive with traffic but there's also some excellent waterfront restaurants in Murrell's Inlet for lunch/dinner afterwards.

Hideway Mesh Pack | Tilos - I have this one - it holds a full set of gear inc. a lightweight wetsuit. You'd probably need two. It's nice because it folds away into it's own pocket which doubles as a place for computers, lights etc. when expanded. Side handle for easier carrying in addition to the backpack straps. I've used the same bag at least 5 years now with no tears etc. The drawstring closure is a little weak when full so just tie a knot in it.

Welcome to SCUBAboard!

I would suggest two mesh bags.

Hope you're good on boats also, some of the dives are pretty far out. Except for the offshore ledges, almost all the diving is near some sort of wreck. The all-day trips get you out into the Gulfstream in some areas.

Hope you're good on boats also, some of the dives are pretty far out. Except for the offshore ledges, almost all the diving is near some sort of wreck. The all-day trips get you out into the Gulfstream in some areas.

I do well on boats, I have several times visited the little gambling boat charters that leave out from little river also.

I knew it was 99% wreck diving, or at least that's all I have heard about

Back
Top Bottom