Hey from VA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Morehead City is amazing diving. There are some good spots in the Wilmington area as well. Welcome to SB!
This is great to know! That's an easy weekend trip. Any site recommendations?

This is great to know! That's an easy weekend trip. Any site recommendations?
My personal favorite site off of Morehead City is the Aeolus. My second favorite would likely be the Papoose. The U-352 is one worth diving. Best bet for any of those would be Olympus Dive Center.

My personal favorite site off of Morehead City is the Aeolus. My second favorite would likely be the Papoose. The U-352 is one worth diving. Best bet for any of those would be Olympus Dive Center.
Thanks! I'm going to check that out. My goal this year is to do more weekend/short trip diving, but the visibility locally is ehh at best and while Florida is doable for a short trip, with the crazy costs of hotels/stays I could get a plane ticket to Belize so that's out haha.

while Florida is doable for a short trip, with the crazy costs of hotels/stays I could get a plane ticket to Belize so that's out haha.
Yeah, there's some good diving in Florida but even though I can drive there (8 hours Gulf, 12 hours SE FL) the hotels, dives, and restaurants are so much more expensive that I can generally fly to Cozumel for a good bit less for the whole trip.

Welcome to the forum! VA is a nice place to be a diver. Not because you have great diving at your door step but because you are in the more or less the same extended weekend leap from Florida, New England and the Great Lakes and a weekend away from North Carolina and New Jersey. The variety that is available to us is something very few people get.

It would be a pleasure to show you what lies next door to us.

Welcome to the forum! VA is a nice place to be a diver. Not because you have great diving at your door step but because you are in the more or less the same extended weekend leap from Florida, New England and the Great Lakes and a weekend away from North Carolina and New Jersey. The variety that is available to us is something very few people get.

It would be a pleasure to show you what lies next door to us.
I like the positivity, you're definitely right we're not super far from anywhere.

Welcome to SB from another VA, hey

Thanks for this post. I had forgotten about Moorhead City. I was thinking of heading further South, like maybe Charleston, but it might be a good idea to add MC back to my list of possibles. It’s amazing how many likely places I’ve forgotten over the last decade or so since I was diving a lot!

Froggie 🐸

Thanks for this post. I had forgotten about Moorhead City. I was thinking of heading further South, like maybe Charleston, but it might be a good idea to add MC back to my list of possibles. It’s amazing how many likely places I’ve forgotten over the last decade or so since I was diving a lot!

Froggie 🐸
I was thinking Charleston would be likely to have good diving, but that's just based on swimming and fishing there. Have you been before? I love Charleston so an excuse to go AND dive would be great.

I just booked a 3 day trip this July to Morehead through Lynnhaven Dive Center in Virginia Beach. Call them up if you want to join! It seemed like a really fair price ($595 with lodging included, 6 dives over 3 days). It looks like most of the shops are around $185/day for 2 tank dive days, so definitely seemed like a solid deal. They have a couple more spots. It's bunkhouse style lodging, but the only time I can sleep just about anywhere is after a day of diving.

Back
Top Bottom