New diver going to St. Croix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

n8dogggg

New
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm technically a new diver (well I start my class lessons on Feb.5th and my wife will take her lessons after I'm done) and I have a trip scheduled for St. Croix in April. My friends who we are going with go every year and normally stick with the Dive Experience store to do their dives with. I thought I read somewhere else that the Anchor Dive Center was better. Any truth to this?

Also, what equipment should I buy to get me started. I'm kinda in the phase that I don't want to go too over the top and crazy until I get a few dives under my belt and know that this will be a long lasting hobby/sport. So far I have a good mask, fins, snorkel, mouthpiece, boots, and wetsuit. Am I leaving anything out? Or is there anything else you suggest I buy before my trip. I'm trying to address this early enough that I'm not making last min purchases w/o doing any research first. Thanks in advance for your help. Even if it is just to point to another post on this board that already addresses this question.

Nate

I was there a few years ago and used St Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adventures and liked their shop and friendly staff World class scuba diving under the US flag on St Croix Virgin Islands where you can dive the largest living reef of any Caribbean island info on snorkeling hotels beaches watersports car rentals accommodations and scuba diving When I was there in mid March never had more then 8 people on the boat. One day I was the only one doing an afternoon dive- dive master was finishing a student. We stayed on the "island" (can't remember the name). The resort was just off shore and we needed to take a water taxi to get over to the "island." Very nice place and the best beach in town, a lot of people would come over in the day time. As for the diving it was nothing spectacular as in other place in the Caribbean.

Ray

My wife and I were in St. Croix last year and stayed at Hotel on the Cay - which I believe is what Deverraygr is talking about. Nice enough place, and as mentioned the nicest - and only - beach *in* town. Service decent, rooms clean and roomy - if a bit worn. It was really nice to be able to enjoy the town and restaurants at night and then take the water taxi (free to people staying on the Cay) back to peace and quiet on the Cay. There is also some pretty decent snorkeling off the Cay.

I dove with Michelle and Dive Experience:
Scuba Dive St. Croix - Dive Experience

Great, very experienced staff, nice selection of dive sites. I did my check-out dives with them and found them to be very qualified, patient and encouraging to a brand new diver like myself. All in all I can highly recommend them.

Dive Experience of course have all the gear for rent, and their rental gear is in good shape, so unless you really *want* to go shopping I think you'll be fine with your basic personal gear.

Before I went I bought a light; UK Q40 eLED, which I'm very happy with, as well as a dive slate. Nice for keeping track of beginning/end tank pressures, dive start/end times, things/fish seen etc. I also couldn't help myself and bought a nice dive watch that doubles as bottom timer, but that was more 'cause I wanted to :wink:. A cheapo waterproof watch will work fine as timing device.

Henrik

Hey thanks for the replies. According to my friend who I'm going with...we will be staying at the Hotel on the Cay as well as diving with Michelle with Dive Experience. It's good to hear something good about both the hotel and dive store as I was a bit skeptical about both. Also nice to hear there will be good snorkeling off the cay. I will be doing Cert dives the second and third days there and then the 6 dive package the next 3 days. So I will have some time to after the cert dives. Again thanks...look forward to going!!!

Back
Top Bottom