New Diver injured in training...who is responsible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Contact a lawyer. You may not have a case but I doubt anyone here can tell.

Thank you very much for all of your input...I haven't clue on anything when it comes to diving...will have to see what else I can find out when she is better able to communicate.

Asking because I don't know...
Isn't 40ft kinda deep for discover diving? The local deal here is in a pool at 12'

In my scuba class we were stood chest-deep in the pool and then crouched/kneeled to get underwater. Once the instructor was satisfied everyone was comfortable with breathing, masks, etc., then he let us go to the deep end and swim around at 12'.

Isn't 40ft kinda deep for discover diving? The local deal here is in a pool at 12'
No 40 ft. is the max. allowable depth for discover scuba but I conduct all my discover scuba classes in a pool.

Sometimes people don't have something shallow so they do it deeper, I did one DSD along a anchor line at 9 meters and that was the first, the last and only time I will ever do that, way to riskiy for my taste.

If a injury occurs under the supervision of a instructor, the instructor in required to fill out a incident report with whatever Scuba Agency his is affiliated with and that agency will be contacting your wife via email. If you were on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship-the instructor would be a Padi instructor, I would contact N.A. Padi office..

She says he was messing around on the left side of her suit...would that be the regulator or bcd?

Was Holland America...and they don't seem to want to admit any accountability for the provider they have a relationship with....it's listed on their website excursions.

I would blame the instructor since as a instructor we are trained to act in any situation and not permit a runaway acent. If this was a Padi Discover Program the ratio can only be 4 students to 1 instructor unless instructor has a assistant (Divemaster) in which case can increase count by 2 additional students.IF I were you I
would file a complaint with PADI if instructor was a Padi Instructor.
She says there were 3 students for the 1 instructor

Back
Top Bottom