New diver lost in the arguments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Put simply you haveing a little hesitation is a good thing, better safe than sorry. Once you are certified the key is partner up with a group and dive, dive, dive. Take it slow and enjoy. It is like shooting Pheasants in Kansas. Once you have the gun and license can you shoot the bird? Not always, practice.

YOur harrassment dives were definetley not PADI or YMCA and coudl ahve jsut been the instrucotrs own. NOt necessary.

I appreciate your concern for your family. slow down and enjoy the ride, build your confidence, everybody learns at different rates

The underlying question is more about the need for some to promote over training. Some simply can't accept that the agencies' risk management are based on real life scenarios. Instead they often assign nefarious motives to them. The reality is that different people have different needs. I approach each student based on their expectations for a particular class. If for any reason I am unable or unwilling to meet those expectations, I refer them to someone who can. There is no need to squash a square peg in a round hole! :D

When it comes to training, I have a few things I like to see:

• Training should be FUN, FUN, FUN.
  • Training should be as simple as practical.
  • Training should not waste time.
  • Training should teach and enforce personal limits.
  • Training should promote more people getting trained!

The instructor really does make all the difference in the world. Talk to yours before you take a class from them and make sure that they can meet your expectations.

Just back from Key Largo. Completed Deep and Wreck with Silent World - great as usual! I crossed a threshold on this trip - on the way back from the last dive on Spiegel Grove, I experienced one of those moments where you realize you accomplished something special. It was a little after 5pm, so the sun was getting golden, the wind was whipping and I had just finished the last dive of the day. It was one of those times when it just goes beyond words. I'll post more from my logs later...

Well…I guess the shortest answer is to dive and take classes.

Here is the deal, Diving offers experience in environments you are familiar with. You’ll normally dive in conditions you’re trained in. Taking classes teaches you how to dive in environments you aren’t familiar with (i.e. night diving, wreck diving, deep diving, etc.).

Some people like taking classes to learn as much as they can to be a better diver…others just dive. Your best bet is to do whatever you feel you need to in order to be safe.

My only recommendation is to dive within your skill and in environments you know. Be safe and smart...especially if your family is with you. Teach them by good example and be safe. You'll all have a blast.

The underlying question is more about the need for some to promote over training. Some simply can't accept that the agencies' risk management are based on real life scenarios. Instead they often assign nefarious motives to them. The reality is that different people have different needs. I approach each student based on their expectations for a particular class. If for any reason I am unable or unwilling to meet those expectations, I refer them to someone who can. There is no need to squash a square peg in a round hole! :D

When it comes to training, I have a few things I like to see:

• Training should be FUN, FUN, FUN.
  • Training should be as simple as practical.
  • Training should not waste time.
  • Training should teach and enforce personal limits.
  • Training should promote more people getting trained!

The instructor really does make all the difference in the world. Talk to yours before you take a class from them and make sure that they can meet your expectations.

Well said! I completely agree with your analysis of what training should be:)

Just back from Key Largo. Completed Deep and Wreck with Silent World - great as usual! I crossed a threshold on this trip - on the way back from the last dive on Spiegel Grove, I experienced one of those moments where you realize you accomplished something special. It was a little after 5pm, so the sun was getting golden, the wind was whipping and I had just finished the last dive of the day. It was one of those times when it just goes beyond words. I'll post more from my logs later...

A good day on the Spiegel can be wonderful, glad you got to experience it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom