New Diver - New BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reel Irie

Registered
Reaction score
I just started my OW certification a couple weeks ago and my girl got me a BC for my birthday yesterday. It is a ScubaPro Glide Pro and very nice! My eventual plans after I get some dives in is to mostly dive a and spearfish, I have heard and read that the backinflation BCs is the way to go if I want to spearfish, although I have also talked to guys at the dive shop that say they prefer the wrap around BC.

I'm just wondering while its new should I consider trading for a back inflation or not? I have only used a wrap around BC so far it it was fine with me..... just wondering if a year down the road when I am spearfishing more will I want the back inflate BC ?

:idk:

The Scubapro Glide B.C. is an excellent B.C. It works well for spearfishing. I would stay with it since you like a wrap around B.C.

Thanks beaver divers! I have never tried the back inflate so don't know if I would like those better.

The Scubapro Glide B.C. is an excellent B.C. It works well for spearfishing. I would stay with it since you like a wrap around B.C.

For the record he said "I have also talked to guys at the dive shop that say they prefer the wrap around BC".

Out of curiosity, were the "guys at the shop" employees or customers? Generally I have trouble taking advice from someone who financially benefits from me agreeing with their opinion. If they sell both types you're probably OK, but just be aware of the fact that someone standing behind a counter may not give you the most objective opinion.

Ideally you'd try each type but I realize that's easier said than done.

I would try both before I swam with your new BC to see for yourself which one you feel better with. I got back into diving recently and tried BP/W and like it better, for me, not you or anyone else. BP/W is better in some respects, not so in others. Some on here rave about it and make fun of people in "poodle jackets," don't listen to them as whatever works for you works for you period.

Equipment is a very personal choice and yours to make, not some salesman. There is a good amount of info on this board that you can learn from, it will take an investment of time on your part due to the amount of BS here, but if you can wade thru and find info pertinent to you, then you will benefit.

In general, BP/Ws offer simplicity, modularity, dependability, and give the user flexibility in how he/she rigs the harness, etc. to their own needs at the time.

BC's offer nice designs, conveniences, etc. but lack the flexibility for alteration if your diving needs change.

Hope this helps, have to get to work.

Back
Top Bottom