New Diver - question boat diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAISY

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi - I am new to diving. So new, in fact, that I just got my OW certification Jan. 2013. I live in Ft Lauderdale so there are plenty of sites to see. I will be diving South Florida and the Keys.
Question: If I am scheduling a dive boat dive and ask for a dive master to dive with me and my buddy (who is also new to diving) are they going to think I don't have enough confidence to be diving at all?
South Florida is mostly drift diving and is how I got my certification but my instructor really took good care of me in making sure I stayed on course and got to the meet up point with the boat.
Question 2: How should I approach skilled divers with questions and possibly ask if I could dive with them? I want to learn all I can and enjoy my new sport. I don't want people to not want to dive with me because I am new. :dork2:

I have run/raced speedbikes all my life and have found that many in the sport are very snobbish and don't want to associate with new riders. Me? I loved to help the new people especially the girls who didn't even know the clutch from the brake. Thanks...

Don't worry about it. I would recommend you hire a DM to be your guide. Besides being able to help you with the diving, they will probably be able to give you a great experience by showing you some great things you might otherwise miss.

Dive ops will LOVE you for knowing that you need a private DM. They fear the opposite - divers who need help but but are too stupid/proud/cheap to ask for it.

The vast majority of experienced divers welcome newbies who know their limitations and show their enthusiasm. We ALL were newbies ourselves and we ALL benefitted from diving with and being mentored by more experienced divers.

For your local diving, I strongly recommend that you join a local dive club to meet your future mentors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Some dive ops don't have an in-water divemaster for boat dives. If so, let them know that you're new beforehand, and they may match you with someone more experienced or get an in-water divemaster for you.

Diving is a non competitive sport. old hands only get pissed at newbies (usually) when they create a problem through hubris or ignorance. Since you seem to know your limits, most divers will be glad to give you advice if you ask. Starting a conversation is as easy as asking someone what the dive conditions are like. It is the universal icebreaker. Most divers love to blab on about dive conditions today, last week and the old days.... then transition into gear they like for this divesite, gear in general..... which LDS is good.... which boats are good or bad... marine life they saw.... etc.... Anything that will consume their surface interval. Its not getting them started.... its getting them to stop. :)

I often start a conversation with divers I don't know by asking about their gear. Divers like to explain what they have and why it's the best; let’s face it we are all proud of the neat stuff we use. This gives you the chance to learn about other gear that maybe you LDS doesn't carry and what makes it a great choice. After breaking the ice with a little gear talk you will often know if they are someone you would like to dive with. Also you can usually tell if they are the type to help you learn and become better or they are the type that is above diving with a new diver. Enjoy and many happy dives.

I strongly urge you to make your first 20 or so dives with experienced divers. A private DM is good for the first few then you should find some experienced divers for mentors. A dive club is a good way. Or post in the SB Florida regional forum. Buying them a beer or two afterwards helps. It's best to try to arrange this before showing up on the charter boat. You have some good shore diving there also. I would be surprised if there were not some groups that did regularly scheduled shore dives that are also happy to dive with new divers. Talk to the people at your LDS.

Question: If I am scheduling a dive boat dive and ask for a dive master to dive with me and my buddy (who is also new to diving) are they going to think I don't have enough confidence to be diving at all?

I can only speak for myself, but I'd find this mindset admirable. I see it as: Acknowledging your limitations as a novice diver and seeking an interim measure to ensure safety whilst you gain experience and skill.

Question 2: How should I approach skilled divers with questions and possibly ask if I could dive with them? I want to learn all I can and enjoy my new sport. I don't want people to not want to dive with me because I am new.

I think this is a mind-set critical scenario. I'd be more than happy to mentor a novice diver, on applicable dives, if they showed a positive attitude and made an effort to develop from the experience they gained.

A couple of tips for the boat.
Most are really just good manners.

Be on time.

Be organised. - You don't need to be obsessive about it but don't be the person who's forgotten their mask or has forgotten to check the pressure in their tanks before leaving. Make sure you have sunscreen, hats, seasicknes tablets, food/drinks if needed etc. If you're well organised you'll be less stressed, this can only improve your whole experience and will also make others more likely to want to dive with you.
I use a basic checklist when packing to go diving.

Watch and listen to the crew & any obvious regulars on that boat - Do as they do in regards to stowing and securing your gear. DON'T have a mess of your gear spilling all over the next divers space.

Don't rinse your mask in the camera bath. Photographers HATE that.

DON'T be afraid to mention your inexperience and ask if you need help in any way. Don't bluff your way through, be honest about your skills and experience and you'll find you'll get the help you need and more respect than those who overestimate their skills.

Pay close attention to the pre-dive briefing and if unsure don't be afraid to ask for clarification or more detail. I find boat crews don't mind being asked but hate people ignoring the briefing.

Finally and most important:

Relax and enjoy the dives.

Even shore diving, there are several sites, shore based drifts, that son and I have done a couple of times each. Experienced DMs leading dives have missed waypoints, but were familiar enough to recover where we would not have been on our own.

Son and I were talking just a few nights ago and agreed that these sites will continue to require a guide for now. It has nothing to do with skills (or lack thereof) and all to do with knowing the local site and conditions. Local guides (DMs) in such circumstances are prudent. Never let a false sense of pride stop you from using a guide when you need one.

If you require more skills experience, even more reason to use a DM. But NONE of it is any reason to worry about what people think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom