New Diver trouble with uncontrolled forward pitching or rolling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fizgig

Registered
Reaction score
Hi I just had my first scuba lesson and I was using a supplied Aqua Lung BCD.

The instructor had us descend and sit on the bottom on our knees while we did our skill practice. However, I was constantly fighting (and mostly losing) a fairly strong tendency to roll or pitch forward. It was so bad, that I could barely focus on the tasks and had to keep one hand on the bottom so I wouldn't do a face plant.

The strong pitching tendency was present at all times, with empty BCD on the bottom, or full at the surface. I could not stay vertical at the surface without a hand on the wall.

I was told it was because I needed to relax, but it was so severe that I believe it to be something else.

Any information would be helpful, because I didn't enjoy the experience at all. Thanks!

Do you think you will be doing a lot of diving on your knees?

I ask that question because I am an instructor who has been doing all he can to stop the practice of teaching students while on their knees. Yes, it is awkward. Yes, you lose balance. Yes, you feel out of sorts while doing it. Not only that, the skills a you learn them on your knees are different from the skills as you perform them while diving. The problem is that skills have been taught on the knees for so long that many instructors think that is the only way to do it. So sad! Teaching students in an actual diving position is much more effective and much easier for the students, but only a small percentage of instructors teach that way.

Try your best to get through the pol sessions as they are being taught. All the time keep in mind that in the real world of diving, everything is completely different.

Thanks for the reply

Could there be an issue with the BCD itself? Like how it's fitting, or where the bladders are located in this particular brand? I'm going to try a different brand tomorrow but I'd like to go in armed with as much info as possible.

I would blame the placement of the weights, or maybe the amount of weight. Try less weight. If using a weight belt, position the weights closer to your back. If using integrated weights, see if the BCD has trim pockets on the back sides. If so, put some of the weights in there. If not, you can try putting some of the weight on the tank straps.

Fizgig,

I wouldn't worry too much about this. Part of it may be as simple as relaxing. I know in a pool being in a posture like that can be difficult if other things are going on, the turbulence and disturb you. In so much as this won't be a common posture when diving most of this is like a dance. People tend to be awkward at first. After a while you learn to roll with the punches, when to resist and when to roll and it gets a lot easier. Also there is a high likelihood that the BC, cylinder and weights were not at all optimized in size, placement or adjustment.

Just stay with the program and many of the rough edges will resolve for the rest there is ScubaBoard.

BTW, you should be picking up most of this knowledge along the way and guided in an honest attempt to find good weighting and trim.

Pete

Thank you very much. I'll check for trim pockets, stay relaxed and maybe drop a pound or two of weight.

Thank you very much. I'll check for trim pockets, stay relaxed and maybe drop a pound or two of weight.
Don't just go do stuff... Get your weighting right (see my link) , ask your instructor to do a good weight check. Once your weigint is right work on distrubuting it for hizontal trim. Don't do anything aimed at making kneeling easier.

Pete

Don't just go do stuff... Get your weighting right (see my link) , ask your instructor to do a good weight check. Once your weigint is right work on distrubuting it for hizontal trim. Don't do anything aimed at making kneeling easier.

Pete

Although I would fully 100% agree with this post if you were taking your class from me or a host of other instructors with similar opinions, it might not work in your case.

I wrote an article on this topic for PADI a couple of years ago, and when I did I had to pose for comparative pictures. I had not done skills on the knees for years, and I was shocked at how much weight I had to add to pose for the pictures of the skills being done on the knees. If you do a proper weight check and are properly weighted and in trim for diving, you really can't do the skills on the knees. You have to be overweighted and out of trim to do skills effectively in that position. If your instructor is wedded to that mode of instruction, doing a proper weight check and getting in good trim will work against you.

Although I would fully 100% agree with this post if you were taking your class from me or a host of other instructors with similar opinions, it might not work in your case.

I wrote an article on this topic for PADI a couple of years ago, and when I did I had to pose for comparative pictures. I had not done skills on the knees for years, and I was shocked at how much weight I had to add to pose for the pictures of the skills being done on the knees. If you do a proper weight check and are properly weighted and in trim for diving, you really can't do the skills on the knees. You have to be overweighted and out of trim to do skills effectively in that position. If your instructor is wedded to that mode of instruction, doing a proper weight check and getting in good trim will work against you.

In the context of training I can fully appreciate what you are saying.

My bigger point was for Fizgig to be thinking about this in reasonably technical way, not just tinkering. This may be a case where as you said, play along for now and you can dial things in for good diving once certified.

Pete

Your problem is no big deal and easy to fix. As others have pointed out it's most likely a weight issue. Overweighted in the front well cause you to lean forward. Usually if the tendency is as bad as you have described then you probably are overweighted but not necessarily. Your instructor should be able to spend a few minutes and get you properly weighted.

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom