New Divers looking to dive in Northwest Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2-wheels

Reaction score
I live in Southwest Georgia and planning to meet my brother-in-law to go diving in Northwest Florida. We both are not very experienced divers. I am newly certified and my brother-in-law has less then 25 dives. My LDS has suggested diving at Devils Den and Blue Grotto. Has anyone dived at these spots and are they safe for inexperienced divers or should we be looking to dive some other spots in Northwest Florida?

:newbie:

Welcome.. I, too, am a GA diver. (Warner Robins area) Our LDS does their O/W check dives at Blue Grotto. It has platforms at various depths along with lighting and the Underwater bell.. Pretty cool dive.. It is classified as a "cavern" at the deeper depths, but as long as you stay to depths where you are comfortable, it would be a nice dive for you.. Have you considered Ginnie Springs? Awesome place to go, especially for new certs IMHO...

Yes Devil's Den and Blue Grotto are both safe for open water divers. I go there with classes for OW. Devil's den you cant get into trouble, Blue Grotto has a cavern that starts at 50 ft you have to drop behind peace rock. it will then bottom out at about 100. You need to be careful not to touch the bottom because it does silt more than Ginnie and Devil's Den, but again people take classes there all time, so people muck it up all the time. As DaleHall said Ginnie is a cool place to go, plus there are a lot of experienced people there that would be more than happy to talk to you about the cave system there. Good Luck and have fun

Are you going to be in Northwest Florida or in North central Florida ? About 5hrs difference. If in North Central, checkout Manatee Springs(Catfish Hotel), Troy Springs, Peacock Springs(Orange Grove), of Course Devils Den, Blue Grotto, and Ginnie. That will cover you for a day or two.

Northwest Florida? Near Ponce de Leon, FL, there are three diving springs:If you've never been to Vortex, it might be worth a visit. A lot of divers consider it the "theme park" of north Florida springs, as it is fully-developed and not very similar to its original state. It has tons of fish (including koi), and toys to play with. Plus, there's a shop, real restrooms, and such. Frankly, I kinda like it (and I'm thinking about going this weekend, although I may dive some Morrison, too, if I go).

Think about Rainbow River. A more enjoyable dive (I think) overall than Blue Grotto or Devil's Den. If you search the Florida forum, you'll find lot's of info and opinions.

where at in Southwest GA. I want to talk to the people on Yates springs and go diving there. course I don't know of any Dive shops in Bainbridge and refills may be an issue. I am thinking I am going to have to Canoe down Spring Creek and go in from the mouth of Yates.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. I think at this point my list has grown…Ginnie Springs, Devil’s Den, Blue Grotto, and Rainbow River. My plan is to do two dives at one location each day…Now I have to make a decision, where we will be going.

My Brother-In-Law is coming up from Tampa area so these locations are little more central for both of us vice Vortex Springs and Morrison Springs. I got certified at Vortex and did enjoy the “Theme Park”.

DaleHall, I am living in Albany not too far from Warner Robins.

GA Under Water, I apologize but I have never heard of Yates Springs.

Can't speak to Ginnie Springs, but one dive in each of those locations will suffice....as you'll see. Remain flexible in case you end up agreeing.

You might also consider a snorkel run with the manatees in Crystal River. Waaaay cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom