NEW DIVERS ONLY! (< 50 dives) - What do you expect from a DiveMaster?

What do you expect from a DM? - new divers only (< 50 dives) please

• DM should show me cool stuff

Votes: 131 63.3%
  • DM should watch my air pressure

Votes: 24 11.6%
  • DM should watch my depth

Votes: 33 15.9%
  • DM should help keep me safe

Votes: 141 68.1%
  • DM should not exceed my training

Votes: 108 52.2%
  • DM should give a dive briefing

Votes: 172 83.1%
  • DM should help me setup my equipment

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • DM should stay on the boat

Votes: 5 2.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey

Omniheurist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
PLEASE DON'T POST IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 50 DIVES!

Recently there has been some discussion about what divers expect from a DiveMaster when on vacation in a tropical location.

We would really like to know what kind of services you expect!

Thanks!

Terry

The last time I was on vacation was on my honeymoon ten years ago. I've never been on a dive vacation, and so I'm not sure what to expect. I'd like to have someone who can show me some interesting sites. Let me know about the dangers and tricks. Rent me good gear; my stuff is too heavy and bulky to pack.

Show me competence and confidence, but don't be full of yourself. You may have done this site so many times that you think the fish are waving "Oh, hey, Web Monkey," but I haven't been here before. Treat it like it's exciting. I might have spent several thousand dollars and used up the only vacation time I've had in years.

Don't assume that I'm there to party every minute I'm not in the water. Show me other activities that I can do in my surface time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 24 open water dives with only 10 of those from a boat in Key Largo - I am still learning but I do know what I can/can't handle. If I have a problem I want a DM there to help me (the keep me safe part) until I get more comfortable and confident. I don't have enough experience to know how I might handle something bad happening. I still have to focus on buoyancy, depth, air consumption, etc. but I don't feel I need someone to watch those things for me. I definitely don't think a DM should set up my equipment for me. Why have a DM on the boat if he's just going to stay there on the boat and not be in the water to show me cool things or be right there to help out in an emergency to prevent panic.
I don't want a DM taking the group off somewhere outside of my training level just to see cool stuff. I know what is outside my training and wouldn't follow anyone into the water knowing it is going to be more difficult than what I am prepared for but what about the DM that decides to go outside of that once we are in the water? I think the DM should be clear about the dive plan - how long, what depth, etc. so people know what they are getting in to before they hit the water. I would rather dive under my level than above it and have something go wrong that I am not trained to handle. I have AOW, wreck, and nitrox but I still don't feel confident enough to be in a strange location diving by myself.
Thanks for the post - I am really interested in hearing what other new divers feel about this. I might be an exception to the rule since I have had experience with things going bad really fast (not me but someone in my family).

As a novice diving in any location I would hope that the DM could provide me with info regarding the difficulty level of the specific location. Based upon the equipment that I am using, along with my experience level and current water conditions, is this dive appropriate?

I have already experienced firsthand a DM, during my OW certification dives in a tropical location, that took our group to 85 feet. During this time a student ran their air down to 150 psi and had to share air on the ascent and safety stop. All the while the student was communicating their air pressure situation to the DM at regular intervals prior to running dangerously low on air.

My lesson learned very early was don't trust anyone with your life. Be responsible for yourself.

If I haven't been to the site before I'll probably follow the DM around a bit.

If I've been to the site before and my buddy has too, then I usually tell the DM (well beforehand) to just leave us alone and let us dive.

I never want the DM fiddling with my gear.

Outside of a training-type dive, I believe that the DM shouldn'thave to be babysitting newer divers and making sure they don't hurt themselves.

By the same token, however, I think that a lot of the situations that people have been griping about on other threads regarding DMs could have been avoided with a proper dive brief, including some of the highlights of the dive. I think, especially for newer divers, we don't know what we don't know. Examples include some of these deep, narrow swim-throughs. If I don't know that the DM is planning on leading the group there, and surprise there it is, this can cause a situation. But if it is briefed that if those don't feel comfortable can swim over, or whatever, this can be benefitial to both those that want to do it and the others know how they can avoid a situation they don't feel comfortable with.

By the same token, we all have a responsibility to ourselves, and our loved ones, to know what we're getting ourselves into. If we don't feel we know enough about the dive site, or we're not comfortable with the conditions for whatever reason, we should SPEAK UP!

I voted for "show me cool stuff". When I go on vacation, it will be my responsibility to inform the DM/Dive Op of my limits & capabilities before we leave their shop. I'll probably try to do this before I even leave for vacation. It's better than being suprised when your on the boat with all your gear on. If the DM has a habit or policy of checking everyones air pressure and depth during the dive, I'd be fine with that, as long as I know in advance.

As a new diver I would like to train myself, instead of relying on the DM, to monitor the pressure and depth closely, to proper setup the equipments and be safe.

Also as a new diver I have very little knowledge on where to find all the interesting and cool stuff underwater so I expect DM to help. Also DM briefing is essential for information about the local dive site. Even if I have been to the site before, I still prefer to have the briefing as redundant information is better than missing information.

As long as DM has some interesting stuff to show and I feel safe, I do not mind DM to go somewhere which exceeds my training.

A DM on the boat offers very little value to new divers underwater. DM should always stay around new divers for support if necessary.

As a novice diving in any location I would hope that the DM could provide me with info regarding the difficulty level of the specific location. Based upon the equipment that I am using, along with my experience level and current water conditions, is this dive appropriate?

I have already experienced firsthand a DM, during my OW certification dives in a tropical location, that took our group to 85 feet. During this time a student ran their air down to 150 psi and had to share air on the ascent and safety stop. All the while the student was communicating their air pressure situation to the DM at regular intervals prior to running dangerously low on air.

My lesson learned very early was don't trust anyone with your life. Be responsible for yourself.

Wow! That is VERY similar to my experience (see below). I was the diver low on air.

I have just under 30 dives all in tropical waters: Keys and Grand Caymen. I like a DM who is NOT arrogant (I've only heard stories); who will watch me and help me stay safe but not smother me. As long as I appear to be under control the DM should watch.

As a new diver I think the DM should be aware of the airhogs (like most newbies are) and be aware of their air levels. On my very first post-OW dive (in Key Largo) we dove the Spiegle Grove. Yeah, I know it's deep but I wanted to go and the boat was full of instructors and DMs (from our shop) so they let me go. Anyway, I was paired with one of the boat's DMs. He led me around the ship. When I got to 1500psi I told him; he signal OK and we kept going. I assumed we were heading back toward the line. I told the DM severl times about my air level. At 1000psi we seemed to still be enjoying the ship and I was getting VERY anxious! I'm sure my breathing increased.

We finally headed up the line...did our safety stop. When I got on the boat I had less than 200psi remaining. That was too close for a brand spankin' new diver!

Oh, and I don't need anyone to tell me how it's every diver's responsibility. New divers simply don't any better. I've learned a lot since then and while I still have a lot more to learn...I know must more about keeping myself safe.

I'll follow the DM...I want them to point out cool stuff...but I damn sure will keep track of where the boat is in the future. And when I get low I'm heading back...with or without the DM.

Back
Top Bottom