New divers where to dive ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, can anyone suggest any good places to dive along the south coast for new / in experianced divers ? Prefrebly shore dive's so we could get a little more experianced ? - Maybe beer, lyme regis area ?

go a little further East into Dorset & the obvious one is the pier at Swanage (make sure the wind is not blowing easterley) then there's Kimmeridge (not far from Wareham) Chesil Cove is another favourite with the wreck of the Royal Adelaide, but i hate carrying my stuff over Chesil Beach!

I would also recommend joining a club where they will cater for the more inexperienced diver with some shallower dives not accesible from the shore.

I don't know the dive boats out of Lyme, but the wreck of the Baygitano is not far offshore, about 20m deep and always popular.

Being that you're in Somerset, Vobster is good for an inland site, as is Chepstow.

Boat's out of Lyme: Miss Patie and Blue Turtle. I prefer Blue Turtle, but I've not dived from it with it's new owner. The Bay Gitano can be a great site, plenty of fish life. Shore diving is something I've never wanted to try there.

Huntress runs out of West Bay.

Chesil Beach for shore dives, you want to be as near to Portland as you can, it can be a hard climb. Weymouth and Portland have many diveboats. I like the Scimitar Diving setup in Portland.

I've no idea what diving you have done, but joining a club is usually the best way to get some mentoring. Turning up on a dive boat with little experience may not be very much fun.

Somerset - you could be close to shore dives in Devon too, Babbacombe and Meadfoot come to mind. Plenty of dive boats in Plymouth too, with plenty of sites to choose from. Aquanaut in Plymouth will be used to showing new divers the ropes and they operate their own boat too.

Vobster is good for Winter practice and training, but will be very cold then.

Adrian

Back
Top Bottom