New Drysuit - Long hose question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
My new drysuit which just arrived in the mail yesterday. My drysuit class is in about a week.

https://www.divetank.com/gear/product.php?id=115

It's a custom fit and fits real well. The only issue appears to be tight wrist and neck seals which I will have to cut. I have streached them out over a soup can and that helped a little, but I still need to cut them.

I noticed when trying it on above water with a long hose/ bungied octo that the long hose that is wraped around my neck rubs aganist the dry suit neck seal when I turn by head to the left and I feel the reg being pulled out of my mouth. Will this happen in the water? (Latex seals..)

The second question is my bungied octo hits the dry suit inflator valve. Is this normal? It kind of gets in the way. If I move the octo closer to my chin to avoid this, my octo hits my chin when I look down.

I'm planning on initially adding about 8 lbs of weight. I'm using the Bare Thinslate T-100 undergarments.

Thanks for the help guys

Aqua Guy

I imagine you will need more weight than 8#'s but who knows.

If you have latex seals (the only ones you should be cutting), streaching them out doesn't really do a whole lot. When you cut them, use some sharp sissors and make sure the cut is smooth, don't want any sharp angles. I would wait until your instructor has seen the suit on you before cutting the seals. You cut to much, you won't have a dry suit.

I've never had a problem with the long hose againt my neck seal. Probably just an on-land thing.

On the secondary, it should sit where you can get to it with just your mouth, no hands needed. If it is doing this and its still hitting your valve, you've got a very oddly placed valve. Mine sits right above my breast bone (see my profile photo).

Neck seal rubbing -- if you wear a hood in the water, I think the issue will go away.

As for the octo...depends on personal preference. Militant DIR-philes would want the octo up higher (so you can technically reach it without using your hands). If this isn't comfortable, you can certainly let it hang lower (as long as it is not getting in the way of your DS inflator). Even if this is happening on dry land, it is likely that when you are horizontal underwater that it won't be in the same position. May take a little trial and error before you are comfortable.

Chris

loosebits:
I imagine you will need more weight than 8#'s but who knows.

I currently wear a two piece farmer John ~ 14 mils total. How much extra weight do you think I should add to start with?

large diver - good point on the hood. You are right, I was not wearing a hood when I tested this above water. I'm sure this won't be a problem when in the water.

Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom