New DSS rig worked great

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick,

Thanks for the kind words. I pleased to hear the gear worked for you. Curacao, very cool, I'm envious.

The diving was very nice, staying at Breezes was the opposite though. Oh well, next time I will spend a little more and stay at a lot nicer place.

You been getting good advice already, I'll only add that the little rubber locators are just that locators, they are not intended to attach the wing to the plate.

One of the key features of the DSS system is the ease with which the wing can be removed from the plate. The leading cause of wing damage is dropping the plate edge wise o the wing. This can cause a slice or pinch flat in the inner bladder, much like what happens if you ride a bike into a curb, the "snake bite" in the inner tube is caused by the tire and the rim pinching the tube.

By removing the wing from the plate for transport, cleaning and storage the risk of wing damage is greatly reduced.

So I do have a question. Is there a good way to roll up the wing for transport? I can roll the wing but am not sure if I should roll the inflator hose or just leave it pointing out so to speak. Even by leaving the inflator hose pointing out I was able to fit the entire DSS rig, my regs, dive comp, and mask in my normal carry-on bag. I am just curious if there is a better way.

Maybe firstdive2005 still has a rig that is easier to take apart than a non-DSS wing. If the bolts only go through the wing (where the locater's normally go), then you would still be able to (fairly) easily take the wing off the rig. What I mean is, you would not have to thread or unthread the cam straps, which seems like the real hassle (not that I know, since I have a DSS rig and don't do that :) ).

I don't have a DSS rig. I have a rig with a light weight STA. I can take my rig apart by removing 2 bolts without unthreading.

Guess what I'm saying is if you have a DSS rig, why bolt it at all?

Tobin and I spar quite a bit. But I will give him this, he created STA-less, bolt-less, easy to break down package with a lot of thought which is kind of cool. Not taking advantage of that to me is like using a mule to pull your Mercedes.

Ah I see. So you just leave the wing and the STA together, and unbolt them from the plate? Okay, from that perspective I see what you're saying, thanks for clarifying that :)

Before I used it, I wasn't thinking about the take-apart feature of the DSS as being such a bonus. I mean, I figured it would be nice, but I had other reasons for choosing the DSS rig. After using it, I really appreciate it. It's so easy and quick to take apart, that I would just separate the two right on the boat, and pack the plate on the bottom of my dive bag, and then the wing on top of everything else. Then too, it was really easy and light to rinse all by itself.

But I do now see what you are saying too.

So I do have a question. Is there a good way to roll up the wing for transport? I can roll the wing but am not sure if I should roll the inflator hose or just leave it pointing out so to speak. Even by leaving the inflator hose pointing out I was able to fit the entire DSS rig, my regs, dive comp, and mask in my normal carry-on bag. I am just curious if there is a better way.

The wings are pretty tough, (as long as you avoid pinch flats) Roll it, fold it stuff it, doesn't really matter much.

Just avoid having it between a "rock and a hard place"

Tobin

The wings are pretty tough, (as long as you avoid pinch flats) Roll it, fold it stuff it, doesn't really matter much.

Just avoid having it between a "rock and a hard place"

Cool, well thanks again for a great product.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom