New E-PL3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Packhorse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well I just brought a E-PL3 with 14-42mm lens and the Oly housing has been ordered.
I guess I am too used to my Canon G11 ( and older G10) where the controls were easy to use dials. The tint buttons inside the ring on the Oly are so hard to use! And it took me 5 minutes to figure out how to set ISO! But I am sure I will get used to it.

So anyway a few questions.

How do you zoom when the camera is in a housing? Is there a dial on the housing for that?

I mainly did macro photography with my G11 and have a custom build macro LED light.
Its not going to work with the larger diameter lens barrel on the oly housing so I will probably build another. I am guessing the LED lighting on the housing is more for focusing that actual lighting?

Any recommendations on a macro adaptor? Can you use dry ones in the housing or are we stuck with wet ones?

Does the housing have a threaded filter port?

Any must have accessories?

As for the controls - Olympus has a Great feature - Super Control Panel (SCP). It is off by default. Turn it on and you will be able to change settings with a press of one button. I just love Oly for that convinience.
You are stuck with wet macro lens or get a dedicated macro lens (panasonic has one and Oly promised one soon). Housing has m67 thread.
Get a zoom gear and you will be able to zoom.

Thanks. Another question.

Does the housing plug into the accessory port of the E-PL3? is that what powers the focus lights? What about the optical strobe triggers?
The focus lights are powered by AAA batteries inside the housing. You need to have the accessory flash attached to fire strobes optically.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom