new equipment reviews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're looking at Scubapro regs you might look at the MK21/S560. The S560 is basically a S600 just with some plastic components. I have that setup and really like it, and it's a lot cheaper than a MK25/S600. I wouldn't consider it to be a "budget" reg, more of a mid range one.

I wouldn't buy anything Cressi for scuba at all especially regulators

FWIW, my LDC wont sell Cressi BCs anymore citing quality issues. I'm not sure if they still sell Cressi regs.

Cressi mask is OK. Saw couple of divers using the "Big Eye" recently.

I hope so, I recently bought my son a Cressi mask and snorkel set for his 4th bday coming up in April.
My wife has a Cressi Big Eyes Evolution Crystal mask. The mask itself is fine but getting the 'Crystal' clear silicon skirt was a bad idea (should've known better :facepalm:) - serious reflection issues (I tried it on 1 dive to see how bad it is, and she wasn't exaggerating). The mask is no longer used. Weirdly it does get good reviews and someone else was using one on that trip and loved it (and he was a photographer! o_O). I'll be sticking to black skirts thank you very much! (now that's not something I thought I'd ever say! :D)

Last edited:
In general I'm also not a big fan of Cressi regs, but as fleet regs, what could be possible a problem with the AC2-XS2?

They are cheap, strong and reliiable (here my customers got them for 105,-US$, 1st & 2nd stage).

They can be adjusted to the same 1,0inch/h2o as similar models of SP, Oceanic, Spirosub and others.

The 1st stage IP can be adjusted with a very exact with a nice screw system.

I never ever had to repair an AC2 1st stage orifice, it's an incredible hard orifice, but I had to repair hundreds of other 1st stage orifices like the MKII.

For me personally is the breathing comfort of the SP (R....) and Oceanic (Alpha......) 2nd stage models in general a bit better, but on the Flow Bench the Venturi is better balanced as in other models (no massive Venturi Override).

The grid in the cover of the XS2 breaks a lttle bit too easy, but spare parts are cheap with Cressi.

So when servicing the AC2-XS2 I'm also testing them, but of course I can see only over time how reliable they are, and for me they are reliable.

They don't come more often on my workbench than other brands.

I'd like to know how the reliability was tested just to have an idea how one can come to the conclusion that all Cressi equipment is not reliable and substandard.

I haven't found out of which regulator model Burhan is writing, I personally had a lot of problems with the Eclipse 2nds, I don't like them, but what could be a problem with the AC2-XS2 Cressi Sub regulator?

For me it's a great value for the price.......

I also like BCDs, fins and masks from Cressi, how have they be tested to come to the judgement that they are substandard?

I understand that one maybe cannot publish the exact number of tests, but I would be interested just to know how the test procedures were conducted, that should not be a secret, right?:)

I am really all talked out on this subject. But here is some quick information:

1. We don't use the "bottom of the line" of their regulators. We actually have mid-range diaphragm first stages, 2 or 3 different models. The models we have are 2 -3 years old and perhaps not current models.

2. Parts not cheap since we will have to order them from Italy or send the regulators overseas for repairs (which we just did and it is a nightmare).

3. The second stage housings are horrible. They don't stand up to use (and we are careful in handling our equipment as much as possible). The ss body get scratched very badly and the front cover with purge button get damaged easily.

4. They need constant adjustment and tend to have severe free flow issues frequently where we don't have anywhere nearly as much issues with other brands (we have some issues with Mares second stages that free flow but never with SP or Atomic or AL).

5. A local police marine rescue team unloaded (sold VERY cheaply) all of their Cressi regulators because they didn't stand up to use and just had one problem after another. They replaced them with AL LX (I think) and no issue since they done that last year AFAIK.

6. They don't come on your bench as often as other brands is probably due to the fact that not too many people buy or keep them :p

7. Reliability testing is done by using them, it isn't difficult to do that, and we keep track of what has what problem and when and compare records. Cressi had the worst track record. This isn't just our dive school but also police rescue teams, private and commercial fishermen divers, etc. It is a very small community where we are and everyone knows and talks to everyone else.

8. BC's; they don't hold up or fit or as comfortable as other brands but not as bad as their regulators.

9. Fins, mask and other free diving equipment: I am talking strictly scuba equipment. Cressi appears to make decent free-diving and spearfishing equipment but I can't judge it since we don't deal with it at all.

I hope that the above is more clear but this is as much as I can/want to talk about the subject. I am not sure of how many other ways I can clarify it.

BTW, I have few MKII's I bought circa 2004 and use in our training program and we NEVER had any issues with them at all, I mean AT ALL. Our students and staff learned to always reach for the SP and Atomic regulators first and those that are late may have only Cressi and not like it.

Last edited:
If you're looking at Scubapro regs you might look at the MK21/S560. The S560 is basically a S600 just with some plastic components. I have that setup and really like it, and it's a lot cheaper than a MK25/S600. I wouldn't consider it to be a "budget" reg, more of a mid range one.

Yes, that is a fantastic value for sure and so is the MK17/s560 combination. SP in our region brought out the MK17/s560 combination at a very attractive price that competes against all other upper mid and high end regulators in quality and also in price, fantastic deal for sure. I am not sure if this specific combination is available in the US. We will use it as the standard regulator for our recreational training program as we phase out other brands from our training equipment fleet.

I checked the 2017 Scubapro catalog for the US and the only S560 combos listed were MK21/S560 and MK11/S560, so it doesn't appear the MK17/S560 is available here. Regardless, I've been extremely happy with mine.

I checked the 2017 Scubapro catalog for the US and the only S560 combos listed were MK21/S560 and MK11/S560, so it doesn't appear the MK17/S560 is available here. Regardless, I've been extremely happy with mine.

The MK21/s560 is a great combination.

The mask itself is fine but getting the 'Crystal' clear silicon skirt was a bad idea (should've known better :facepalm:) - serious reflection issues (I tried it on 1 dive to see how bad it is, and she wasn't exaggerating). The mask is no longer used. Weirdly it does get good reviews and someone else was using one on that trip and loved it (and he was a photographer! o_O). I'll be sticking to black skirts thank you very much! (now that's not something I thought I'd ever say! :D)

It is really a personal preference more than facts. I have both clear and black skirt mask. I started with black because the all the talk about reflections. Then I got a clear version of the same mask as backup. Now, the clear becomes my main and black is my backup. I prefer the clear by a large margin

I bought a cressi package last fall, R1 bcd, MC9 1st stage, xs compact 2nd and octo and the console leanardo computer and pressure guage. Delivered to my door as the closest real dive shop with more than 1 product line is 1,000km away. Put a seacure mouthpiece on and its been great so far. 22 logged dives all warm water. Just started packing it all up for trip home. Will see in time how it lasts. I am just newly certified if that throws my review out the window here. Over rental gear, I highly recommend it.
51Gjo7tQbQL._SY400_.jpg

It is really a personal preference more than facts. I have both clear and black skirt mask. I started with black because the all the talk about reflections. Then I got a clear version of the same mask as backup. Now, the clear becomes my main and black is my backup. I prefer the clear by a large margin

Do you mean the normal type of clear silicone or the 'crystal' clear type like the Cressi Big Eyes Evolution Crystal I was referring to? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cressi-Evolution-Crystal-Diving-Snorkeling/dp/B01BMKGVC2
I agree the normal clear silicone skirts are just fine and I have no issue with them, although I do prefer black.

Back
Top Bottom