New First Stage Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spleener

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
All, wondering if anyone had any thoughts on a new First Stage. Recently purchased an air integrated wrist PDC and my Titan First Stage only has one HP port (looks like the newer ones have 2, but mine only has 1). So, have two questions:

1. Any recommendations on a first stage with two HP ports so I can run a back up pressure Gauge?
2. Someone recommended Hollis DC1 (which I have not been able to find yet where I can get it shipped to me before my trip (3/1). Will this be completely compatible with my Aqua Lung Second stage?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Hollis DC1 First Stage Only at LeisurePro

Follow Up:

Thanks all! When buying the wrist PDC, I hadn't realized I didn't have two ports. In researching how to fix this, I didn't realize that there was a 2:1 splitter. I'll be ordering one tomorrow.

Very relieved that getting a new 1st stage would be a severe waste of time, effort and money! Appreciate all the comments and info.

Last edited:
Why get a new 1st stage?
If you don't trust your new computer don't use it.....having a 2nd pressure gauge attached to your rig as a back-up just seems to negate the only possible advantage to having a hoseless computer anyway.
Take your existing gauges along for the trip and if you have problems with your new computer just use your old gauges instead.

For $40 more they've also got a choice of two of the better ScubaPro 1st stages in Stock - either is $289. Diaphragm or Piston?

Scubapro Mark 17 Regulator, First Stage Only at LeisurePro
SCUBAPRO MK21 Regulator, First Stage Only at LeisurePro

The Mk21 is their newest model.

Although I'd have to wonder how many Scubapro dealers also are authorized to work on Aqualung - or vice-versa. :D
All in my area are one or the other. I suspect it may be in someone's dealer agreement...

Afaik all current Titans are still 4/1 - only the Legend has the 2nd HP port.
The T-shape of the first stage optimizes the location of the 4 MP ports and 1 HP port
http://www.aqualung.com/us/content/view/294/

If you're set on the Hollis both Scubatoys and Divers Supply are dealers also.

I would not bother getting a new first stage, you certainly will not find a better performing or more reliable one than the the titan. Use a port adapter to attach both the transmitter and your SPG, at least until you are comfortable using one or the other. That won't take long I suspect.

I've got the Hog D2 from DGX.

I love it except the hose routing sucks. My LP hose juts right out into my head. They should have directed them further out to the side.

Depends on what you are using it for and where you have the hose. I have a couple Epics (same as D2) and for recreational diving no different angle than some of the other 1st stages I have used from other mfg's. They work great on stage bottles. But for my main regs whether single tank, doubles, or Sidemount I use the D-1's with the rotating turret. '
To the OP do you need DIN or Yoke and why can't you get a 1st stage shipped before your trip. It's two weeks away. You could get a HOG D-1, or D-3 with a rotating turret 1st by the end of this week if you needed it. If you knew who to ask :wink:.

I would also suggest not getting a new reg. Use your current one with a port splitter. However, I am going to suggest also getting a short 6" hp hose.

Reg HP Port -> 6" HP hose -> Splitter -> Transmitter/HP Hose with SPG.

When I dove with a transmitter I had it on short HP Hose and tucked it in between the cylinder and wing. Worked great and the transmitter was not a temptation for being used as a handle. The only down fall is that your current HP hose will be extended a bit more than necessary.

a word of caution - I recently saw where there was a requirement for a specific orientation for the transmitter. It would not have been in the required orientation of a short hose was implemented. Though I am not a fan of AI, I see where putting one on a stub hose (and maybe a swivel) would be desirable. YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom