New gear check and set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bibendum

Contributor
Reaction score
When you buy new gear (reg, octo, BC, computer) what sort of checks or set up does or should the dive shop do?

Thanks!

Bibendum:
When you buy new gear (reg, octo, BC, computer) what sort of checks or set up does or should the dive shop do?

Thanks!

They _should_ assemble everything (screw the hoses into the reg and so on) and then do a basic functional check This would be the same as they should do after annual gear servicing. Basically just make sure that it works. For a BC that means fill it with air and see that it holds air for a while and a couple simple tests of the reg. Nothing very technical.

Hmmm, the shops I bought mine from did screw the backup and pressure gauges into the first stage and tested all of that, but the rest of it... I had to put together. Including that initial first threading of the one piece harness thru the backplate (that was fun)

But like ChrisA said above, if your buying it all from one shop, they should assemble all of it and test it for you, and if they have a pool, they should offer to let you try it all there.

Chris

Yes, if you are buying gear from your LDS they should be able to assemble everything for you correctly, test the setup and preferably give you a "test drive" in a pool. Where I come from we used to take our students to our LDS where they let the students experiment with different rental gear confirgurations in the pool that are similar to what the they sell in the store. We often took our students to our LDS as part of our discussion of diving gear in OW courses so they can see, touch and understand what there is to understand about different types of gear. More often than not our students then would buy gear for themselves by figuring out what fits better, feels more comfortable for them in the pool and make an educated choice about their gear based on what felt right and not what had the highest price tag necessarily. :D

If the LDS wants to sell it, they have to demo it as far as I'm concerned. It's like taking a car out for a test drive before you decide whether you like it or not. :14:

Hmmm...my buddy and I bought our reg, octo, BC and computer over the weekend. LDS put reg, octo, and LP BC hose on first stage and hooked it up to a tank, tested purge valve a few times and took a few breaths off the reg and octo. Put compass on console and told us to do set up of computer. Did not test BC. Should they have done more or rather, should I be asking them to do more? Aren't they supposed to "tune" the reg or something like that?

Since they do not have a pool, they are letting us piggy back on a pool session this Saturday, so we can test all the gear in the pool first.

Bibendum:
Should they have done more or rather, should I be asking them to do more? Aren't they supposed to "tune" the reg or something like that?
Tuning a new reg is something I'd only consider if it freeflows underwater too easily and presents a real problem - notice most regs freeflow a little if you turn them mouth bit up under water and you give it a bit of a shake, this is normal; if it freeflows no matter what you do then a minor adjustment by the LDS should be considered. Don't fix it if nothing's broken. Check it out in the pool and take it from there. Most new regs are normally just fine and doesn't need any fiddling with.

Bibendum:
Since they do not have a pool, they are letting us piggy back on a pool session this Saturday, so we can test all the gear in the pool first.
Good move, test drive the new toys until you are happy that you are getting what you are paying for. Just make very sure that they (the LDS) are okay with exchanging any new gear for other options should you change your mind after your pool "test drive." :coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom