New Gear: Computer, Deco Bottle, and Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillAbbott

Reaction score
Ok, so a friend of mine is organizing a trip to Canada with Porpoise (sp?) bay charters in March.

To include 6 dives over 2 or 3 days... he's doing it for fun, as well as teaching a nitrox class (I'm currently 99% done with a nitrox class, just waiting on the shop to get the 2 dives done and I'm certified, anyways)

I kind of want to go, as I've never gone to Canada, and hear it's great... I'm a tad dissipointed as I wanted to do a few more, or cooler wrecks, but hey, diving is diving.

Anyways, before I go, I'd kind of like to get a few new peices of gear (there on my future list of things to buy anyways, but I'd like to have them for this trip)

The list is:

A New (nitrox) computer
A Deco/Bail-out Bottle
New Fins

First my current config is, a Halcyon SS BP, with 36# Pioneer wings. ScubaPro Mk25 reg with S550, and R380 2nds, and 2 (seperate) AL80's (of course there is some other stuff in there, an MLS light, etc.) and I currently use an Air integrated console computer (yeah I know)

I want a wrist mount computer to replace the console, once I get an SPG. Plus I want a nitrox computer... I'm pretty much 99.9% sold on the Oceanic Veo 200, my LDS (the one I like to goto) has it for $295 it seems to be a fairly feature rich computer, while giving me what matters, wrist mount, gauge mode, etc... so I can use it as a bottom timer down the road. Any other suggestions are welcome, budget for the computer is $400 however. and must be Wrist mount, and have a gauge mode.

For the Fins, the choice is simple, and obvious... a pair of Jet fins (not twin jets) and a set of spring heel straps... I currently dive with either Tusa X-pert zooms (If I'm feeling lazy or what not) or Aeris Velocity Paddle fins (which keep breaking straps like NO tommorow, hence the push for new fins with spring straps, theese are my prefered fin, due to the added manuverability, and ability to back-up, etc..) I could just buy Manta Spring straps for my Velocities... but in the long run I want some rubber fins... Jet's or similar... pretty much everyone that sells jet's costs about $100 except leisurepro, or ebay... I might try and get them from ebay first, but I'm not sure about leisurepro hearing the trouble people are having lately, and the fact they are almost ALLWAYS out of stock on XL Jet Fins.

For the Deco bottle, we have a bit of a fluster...

I want an AL40, to be labled for a MOD of 70' (50/50 mix) the purpose of this bottle, is to breath on saftey stops, or durring ascents (because I can, and I want to) it also is for an added saftey measure as a bail-out bottle... should ANY problem arrise where my backgas is unusable, or my buddies, or both, or whatever (this use should NEVER arrise the way I dive) I can use it as a direct ascent tank above 70' or as a "Pony" (as some people call them).

I don't know what the depths will be, but for what I do most of the time, a 50/50 mix is the most practical as most of my diving is in the 80' or less depth, allowing a very short time before being able to use the gas, if not immediately (we probably average a depth of 60-70 on 99% of our dives)

It also will be used as a TRUE deco bottle whenever I finnaly get into Deco/Tri-Mix

The bottle is pretty simple, pricing seems to be pretty standard at $145 (though my LDS accidentally quoted me $145 for an AL50, which would be ok if I could get a stage rigging kit for it, but the AL40 should be no more than $5 less)

The stage rigging looks like I'll be going with Halcyon, as it seems to be the least expensive way, short of rigging it myself, and buying the MOD decal.

The major dilema is the Deco regulator.

I would be ordering the reg and bottle with DIN fittings (bottle would probably have the 200bar DIN/Yoke valve, even though my backgas reg is a yoke, which I intend to change someday, I would like DIN for this use)

I've gotten about 2-3 quotes for regulators, one I didn't get a price for, but just a model, and isn't really in the running... the other 2, are an OMS DRO regulator from my LDS which I'd prefer to deal with, for $200, and an OMS SPG at $110 (which seems a bit high, being as Halcyon SPG's are under $100)

The alternate choice is for around $229 I could get a ScubaPro Mk2 with R190 which would match in brand to my backgas regs... or for $299 a Mk2 with R390 2nd (almost the same as my current backup R380)

I favor the ScubaPro choice as it is the same brand as what I have, and they have a great warranty... but my budget for the deco reg is $300 including the SPG (and any hose costs, etc.) also the ScubaPro's only come Oxy compatible to 40%, though the shop I talked to, said he thought they were for 70% (not what SP told me) but that they would change the o-rings and grease to make it O2 compatible for me, at not charge if I buy from them.

So I guess, I just want oppinions on the gear choices and what not.

I figgure I will have $861 to spend between now and when I'd leave for the trip, which is actually counting upto the week I'd leave, which would be a push for ordering stuff, which I have to order EVERYTHING here in Oregon.

I'd like to hear input on everything please, and I'll clarify if anyone needs/wants me to. I'm also welcome to other/better ways to spend the money before/after the trip. I'd be half tempted to rig up some doubles, but I'm not sure how well that would work on the trip, not to mention being a tight budget, unless I twined my AL80's (which I've thought about doing, for a begginer set of doubles AKA a recreational set of doubles)

For a last thing, here is a partial list of my "future" gear wants/needs:

2X - Scout Backup Light or Similar
Lift Bag (probably 80lbs Halcyon)
150 foot Finger Spool
2X - Aluminum 40 cubit foot cylinder (50/50 bottle and 100%)
2X - Deco/Stage Bottle Rigging Kit
2X - Deco/Stage Bottle Regulators - 50% and 100% O2 Compatible
MK 25 1st Stage (matching with my current primary to use on doubles)
ScubaPro Jet Fins
Spring Heel Straps for Jet Fins
SPG (to replace air integrated computer)
Bottom Timer (as second timming device)
Wrist Mount Nitrox Computer
PST - E series 120 or 130 Cubic Foot Tanks (either to twin or for big recreational tanks, with my AL80's twined)
Tank Bands (for the AL80's or Steels to be bought)
Manifold (for AL's or future steels)
Halcyon - 55lbs Explorer Wings, or Wings and BP with harness (for when I go doubles)
Canon A40 UnderWater Housing (for my canon to do U/W photo)
Ikelite Housing for Sony video camera (probalby way off due to the cost of these buggers)
Drysuit inflation kit (for use everyday, but esspecially someday with tri-mix)

OK, sorry for the long post, but kind of a bit of information to get into a single post.

TTFN, and thanks!

It kills me how people refer to Canada in this way..... it's a fairly big place, you know. It's kind of like me planning a dive trip to the "United States". :526:

But seriously, where in Canada do you plan on going diving in March? I live in Ontario and there are lots of fantastic places to do some wreck diving. And in March, it may be ice diving you will be doing depending on the location. In Kingston, there are some fantastic wrecks, but the moorings will still be down and will have to be done via GPS if at all. Moorings won't be up until sometime in May in all likelihood. Plus, I don't think there will be any charters running because the boats will still be in dry-dock.

And don't take this the wrong way, but why in the world would you want to do deco diving when you've barely finished enriched air??

Just curious.....

There's a Porpoise dive charter operation in B.C. That's probably where the trip is planned but yes, a more definitive location would have been helpful. :D

And no, we don't know "Ralph" from Canada that you met on a fishing trip last summer!! LOL (sorry, Canadian joke!)

Diverlady

The idea of a single bottle for deco and bailout does not seem like a good idea to me, though I have not taken any deco training yet so maybe I am missing something. IMO a bailout bottle should be the same mix as the back gas. In an emergency situation you want to be able to switch without checking your depth, and possibly changing it.

Although I occasionally carry a pony as a bailout, I’ve never used it other than for practice. However I imagine that any situation requiring the switch is going to be quit stressful and I don’t want to be concerned about depth, I want to grab the bailout reg and get gas!

Mike

P.S. I was born in Kirkland Lake, Ont.

warren_l:
It kills me how people refer to Canada in this way..... it's a fairly big place, you know. It's kind of like me planning a dive trip to the "United States". :526:

But seriously, where in Canada do you plan on going diving in March?...

And don't take this the wrong way, but why in the world would you want to do deco diving when you've barely finished enriched air??

Just curious.....

Ok, I guess I should have been specific with where in Canada, however I knew the post was going to be long enough as is, and didn't figure it was relevant... anyways, yes it's the Porpoise Bay Charters in BC http://www.porpoisebaycharters.com/ the "Sunshine Coast" area. I know very little about the charter itself, as I'm not the one doing the planning, my friend is, and as far as I know it's 100% planned and good to go, he just is getting people to go (which he never seems to have a problem filling a charter boat to BC)

As for why I would be doing a deco dive... I'm not. I don't recall saying I actually was going to deco dive... not with no AL80 for backgas anyways. The purpose of the deco bottle for now is for use on saftey stops, but also as a bailout bottle in the case of a catastrophic failure... and then once I do get to true deco diving (class and dives) I will already have the bottle. I sort of would like to have ALL the gear neccisarry (or most of it) before actually taking Adv Nitrox/Deco Proceders (Deep diver)

Hope that clarifies better.

MikeS:
The idea of a single bottle for deco and bailout does not seem like a good idea to me, though I have not taken any deco training yet so maybe I am missing something. IMO a bailout bottle should be the same mix as the back gas. In an emergency situation you want to be able to switch without checking your depth, and possibly changing it.

Although I occasionally carry a pony as a bailout, I’ve never used it other than for practice. However I imagine that any situation requiring the switch is going to be quit stressful and I don’t want to be concerned about depth, I want to grab the bailout reg and get gas!

Mike

P.S. I was born in Kirkland Lake, Ont.

True, I guess I can always rig it to be a deco bottle, but for now only carry the same mix as bottom mix, or a mix which will not give more than 1.6ata at the max depth of the dive. The only thing different I would have to do, is not put the MOD decal on it, and either remix constantly, or dump the air... if I were going this way, the best mix to put in it, wouldn't be bottom mix, but 21-32% something that can be used to the max depth I will go without having to remix the bottle. I just thought keeping 40% in it, but labled at a 70' Mod would be easier and better than 21% or having to get a new mix every dive. Plus it would give better offgassing (though it isn't needed) if/when used durring ascents or saftey stops.

I won't comment on the computer. As you want one with gauge mode, that limits your choices and any of them will work fine.

Deco bottle/reg. An alum 40 is your best bet for a deco bottle, but is overkill, IMO, as a bailout or pony. That being said, if you just want one bottle (you'll need two for trimix), get the 40.
I would also go with the SP Mk2+/R190. Thats what I'm using on my deco tanks and, as you already said, it matches your current gear, and is pretty bulletproof. I would stay with the R190 unless you just gotta have the smaller second. I don't think its worth the extra money for a deco reg. I also use my Mk2+ on 100%.

The Sunshine Coast has some fanastic diving, as does most of BC. Be sure to take a good light.

Fins: I'm assuming you're diving dry, so make sure the XL Jets fit your boots before you buy. If you wear a 10 they get iffy, over that and you go to Turtles.

MD

MechDiver:
I won't comment on the computer. As you want one with gauge mode, that limits your choices and any of them will work fine.

Deco bottle/reg. An alum 40 is your best bet for a deco bottle, but is overkill, IMO, as a bailout or pony. That being said, if you just want one bottle (you'll need two for trimix), get the 40.
I would also go with the SP Mk2+/R190. Thats what I'm using on my deco tanks and, as you already said, it matches your current gear, and is pretty bulletproof. I would stay with the R190 unless you just gotta have the smaller second. I don't think its worth the extra money for a deco reg. I also use my Mk2+ on 100%.

The Sunshine Coast has some fanastic diving, as does most of BC. Be sure to take a good light.

Fins: I'm assuming you're diving dry, so make sure the XL Jets fit your boots before you buy. If you wear a 10 they get iffy, over that and you go to Turtles.

MD

Thanks Mech, pretty much confirms what I thought.

I'll take my Dive Rite MLS-1 MR16 of course... I may either have to get a little smaller watt bulb, or try and buy a 2nd battery before I go, not knowing the depths we will be diving... I may not have enough runtime on the light for 3dives in a day.

WillAbbott:
Thanks Mech, pretty much confirms what I thought.

I'll take my Dive Rite MLS-1 MR16 of course... I may either have to get a little smaller watt bulb, or try and buy a 2nd battery before I go, not knowing the depths we will be diving... I may not have enough runtime on the light for 3dives in a day.

You won't need the light all the time, so you should be okay. If thats the light with the 2.9AH battery, get the 4.6 before you do mix training. A nice 3C light on your harness would do most of what you need. Most of the diving up there, IIRC, is deep wall. Some of the places I've dove there, you get 10 feet away from the bank and you're in deep water. Also, current can be fun at times :)

MD

MechDiver:
You won't need the light all the time, so you should be okay. If thats the light with the 2.9AH battery, get the 4.6 before you do mix training. A nice 3C light on your harness would do most of what you need. Most of the diving up there, IIRC, is deep wall. Some of the places I've dove there, you get 10 feet away from the bank and you're in deep water. Also, current can be fun at times :)

MD

Actually it's a 7ah battery, with a 50watt halogen bulb... approx runtime of 60mins total.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom