New Gear: Computer, Deco Bottle, and Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will, typically I generally don't consider buying equipment for something I don't plan on doing, for starters. That is what confused me about your post. Personally, I would go through the training first before buying any gear as I find you always run a risk of getting something you don't really need if you try to get everything ahead of time. An why spend the money now if you don't need to do so?

warren_l:
Will, typically I generally don't consider buying equipment for something I don't plan on doing, for starters. That is what confused me about your post. Personally, I would go through the training first before buying any gear as I find you always run a risk of getting something you don't really need if you try to get everything ahead of time. An why spend the money now if you don't need to do so?

I would normally agree with you, but from past posts, Will knows pretty much what he needs.

Also, some of the tech instructors either don't have equipment to rent, want a fortune, or require you to have your own. My mix instructor does not do classes with rental gear. You either own it, or you don't take the class.

MD

WillAbbott:
I want a wrist mount computer to replace the console, once I get an SPG. Plus I want a nitrox computer... I'm pretty much 99.9% sold on the Oceanic Veo 200, my LDS (the one I like to goto) has it for $295 it seems to be a fairly feature rich computer, while giving me what matters, wrist mount, gauge mode, etc... so I can use it as a bottom timer down the road. Any other suggestions are welcome, budget for the computer is $400 however. and must be Wrist mount, and have a gauge mode.
Personally, I like the Uwatec bottom timer. The Suunto D3 looks like a very nice timer as well, but it's a bit pricey. But if you really want a computer, I'd be considering the Suunto Vyper, having heard bad things about Oceanic computers. I don't know anything about the Veo specifically, but a friend of mine has a Versa and that thing is lethal. No matter how long you stay down for, it just never goes into deco. We always joke that it entices him to enter wrecks, or stay down until he runs out of air, or go deeper, or any other dangerous thing you can think of. :biggrin:

MechDiver:
I would normally agree with you, but from past posts, Will knows pretty much what he needs.

Also, some of the tech instructors either don't have equipment to rent, want a fortune, or require you to have your own. My mix instructor does not do classes with rental gear. You either own it, or you don't take the class.

MD

The guy I'd go through here (well 1.5-2hours away :() does have rental gear, but I'm sure the cost would go down pretty signifigantly for having some of it... I know it's like $900 for Adv Nitrox/Deep, and from what I've seen on the web, most places only charge about $400 for the class without rental gear... sure it's still less expensive for the class with gear, but it's a smaller chunk at a time with the gear (except doubles) because you can buy it peice by peice, and small prices.

I appreciate the comment about me knowing what I want though Mech... that's encouraging I guess... I'm many times figuring it out as I go though, but I do try and do my research... who knows what I'll do now... I may not do any of it, but the computer/fins... and I may change to a Suunto Computer, all I found from Suunto was the Vyper at more than $400 unless bought online... but Fifth Dimension quoted me in an e-mail that they could get me a Suunto with Gauge mode for under $400 (no specifics, but the Vyper is the least expensive Suunto with Gauge mode I know of, that is still a computer)

WillAbbott:
The guy I'd go through here (well 1.5-2hours away :() does have rental gear, but I'm sure the cost would go down pretty signifigantly for having some of it... I know it's like $900 for Adv Nitrox/Deep, and from what I've seen on the web, most places only charge about $400 for the class without rental gear... sure it's still less expensive for the class with gear, but it's a smaller chunk at a time with the gear (except doubles) because you can buy it peice by peice, and small prices.

Sounds like Jeff?
The $900 in Puget Sound/Vancouver area sounds about right. And that does NOT include equipment, gas, or lodging from the folks I checked with. At least some years ago. PM me if you decide to do these classes and I'll pass along some info.

MD

MechDiver:
Sounds like Jeff?
The $900 in Puget Sound/Vancouver area sounds about right. And that does NOT include equipment, gas, or lodging from the folks I checked with. At least some years ago. PM me if you decide to do these classes and I'll pass along some info.

MD

You are partially correct, from my previous e-mail with Jeff (some 9 months ago or so) he said around and from an e-mail my friend sent from Jeff about his taking Adv Nitrox/Deep was $900 and it included gas, manuals, training, and cert. fees... gear was $125 extra to included BP/Wings, regs, everything. and then he'd have to pay entry fees for Sund Rock...

I just e-mailed Jeff today as well, gonna check into training as well... I really am a flake this week with whether to buy new toys, and Canada, just new toys, more training and Canada, more training and toys, or nothing at all :wink:

WillAbbott:
You are partially correct, from my previous e-mail with Jeff (some 9 months ago or so) he said around and from an e-mail my friend sent from Jeff about his taking Adv Nitrox/Deep was $900 and it included gas, manuals, training, and cert. fees... gear was $125 extra to included BP/Wings, regs, everything. and then he'd have to pay entry fees for Sund Rock...

I just e-mailed Jeff today as well, gonna check into training as well... I really am a flake this week with whether to buy new toys, and Canada, just new toys, more training and Canada, more training and toys, or nothing at all :wink:

As long as you'd need a place to stay, if you stayed at the bunkhouse, the Sund Rock fee is included. I didn't remember the gas being included when I talked to Jeff, but that was a while ago. We could not get together because he only has days off during the week and there was no way for me get over there on that schedule.

Regardless, PM me before you commit.

MD

MechDiver:
As long as you'd need a place to stay, if you stayed at the bunkhouse, the Sund Rock fee is included. I didn't remember the gas being included when I talked to Jeff, but that was a while ago. We could not get together because he only has days off during the week and there was no way for me get over there on that schedule.

Regardless, PM me before you commit.

MD

Well like I said, who knows what I'll end up doing until I do it, but I'll try and remember to PM you before I take a class if that's what I decide to do.

Have you thought about buying the Vyper in Canada? Just a thought. With the exchange rate in your favour (although that is changing rapidly these days) and with being able to claim back the taxes you might find it cheaper to get it in B.C.
However, that means you'd have a new computer that you've never used in unfamiliar waters etc.

Food for thought.

Diverlady

Back
Top Bottom